Grayson brought his first mystery wine last night and it was a doozy. He'll be invited back:
14. Ridge Calif CabernetSauvignon MonteBello SantaCruzMtns (13.1%; 93% CS/7% Merlot; 45% slctn out; bttld:
May 1987; Drk: 2012:PD) 1985
: Very dark color w/ little bricking; very strong Cab/blackcurranty quite
cedary/pencilly/toasty/coffee/oak slight herbal/rather Bdx-like bit earthy/dusty/OV quite complex nose;
fairly tart strong blackcurranty/Cab/spicy some herbal/Bdx-like quite cedary/pencilly/oak quite complex quite structured
flavor w/ some ripe/firm tannins; very long/lingering strong blackcurranty/Cab/herbal/Bdx-like fairly
cedary/pencilly/toasty/oak structured quite complex finish w/ modest ripe tannins; loads of Bdx-like character and
still quite youthful; terrific MonteBello masterpiece; will go another 10 yrs at least.
1. When I opened the btl of his mystery wine, I noted that it appeared to be a Ridge silver capsule. But when I tasted the wine, it struck me more as a high-end NapaVlly Cab because of its distinct Bdx-like character and didn't seem to have the signature Ridge oak. But I couldn't guess which one it might be. I was pretty sure it was an older Calif Cab, but was guessing the late '90's. Shows how much I know.
Tom