Tried this over the weekend, fresh off the boat:
1. Drew PinotNoir MorningDewRanch/AndersonVlly (13.1%; www.DrewWines.com; 7'th & last vintage; Y=0.50 tons/acre;
50% w-c; 33% new Fr.oak) Elk 2015
: Med.dark color; some earthy/black pepper/whole-cluster rather earthy/black cherry/PN light toasty/oak fairly complex nose; quite tart very w-c/spicy/peppery some earthy/dusty light black cherry/PN/black cherry cola complex flavor w/ ample hard tannins; very long/lingering strong w-c/black pepper/spicy/bit earthy light black cherry/black cherry cola/PN some earthy/dusty finish w/ some hard/angular tannins; badly needs 3-6 yrs of age.
1. JasonDrew is one of the darlings of the IPoB Movement (RIP). I have, of course, followed him from the very start when he was working at BabcockWnry and started making his own wines. When he & Molly moved to Elk on the MendoRidge, he reined in ripeness level and moved toward the "natural" side of winemaking. I continue to buy his wines because I really like his Syrahs. His Viognier is also first rate and his Albarino one of the best in Calif.
This PN is rather atypical of AndersonVlly Pinot. It doesn't show that bright cherry character you usually get. The w-c dominates the fruit and gives it a much more interesting character.
Tom