Tasting PM Wines w/ Paul & Martha Oct 5, 2018
We have a new wine distributor, PM Wines, located up in Taos, who focuses on "natural" wines, by whatever
definition you choose to define "natural wines". (www.PMWineDistribution.com). Run by PaulGreenhaw and Martha
Aguilar. They get their imported wines from BonVivantImports (www.bonvivantimports.com) up in Boise, ID,
an importer that specializes in natural wines. In their Calif portfolio, they have HarringtonWines and
LaClarine. I've known Paul for over a yr, since he works at Cid's TheCellar in Taos, the first really good
wine shop Taos has ever had.
I hooked Paul&Martha w/ Laura of Pig+Fig, who should have her Beer&Wine license any day now, subject to the
glacial pace at which the ABC moves here in NM. So last Fri, Paul & Martha stopped in at P+F to show some wines
from their import portfolio. Their pallet of Calif producers has not yet arrived. I didn't take detailed notes
on the wines, just jotted down a few things. The wines they showed were:
1. DeStafani Col Fondo DOC: Prosecco (100% Glera; no disgorgement; 11%) NV: Not your usual somewhat bland expression
of Prosecco; lots of sediment in the bottom of the btl that is usually shaken up into the wine afore pouring;
very dry, very austere w/ lts of minerality. $19
4. Ailala-Ailalelo DO: Ribeiro/Galicia (100% Treixadura; 13.6%) 2017: Quite fragrant/floral almost Albarino-like;
light stony/mineral quite floral on the palate; a quite pretty Galician white. $19
saline flavor w/ light tangy tannins; very long rather tart/tangy/metallic rather phenolic/resiny some floral/
apple blossom/PG/orangey/honeyed bit complex finish w/ light tangy tannins; a rather savory/saline expression
of PG w/ a nice balance between phenolic and fruit character; pretty classic skin-contact Ramato;very well priced
at $19
12. Stekar: CabSauv ZGP: GoriskaBrda (13%) 2015: Very strong blackcurranty/Cab/bit herbal/dusty nose; bit soft
strong blackcurranty/Cab/rapey somewhat earthy/dusty/bit rustic flavor w/ light rough tannins; a bit on the
earthy/rustic side of Cab but pretty interesting. $22
ripe bit RCCola/DrPepper/spicy slight earthy/graphite light toasty/oak rather complex nose; bit soft quite
rich/lush very strong Teroldego/black cherry cola/RCCola/licorice slight pungent/earthy very light toasty/oak
rather structured flavor w/ modest brisk/bitey tannins; very long slight tart fairly rich/lush/structured
strong Teroldego/black cherry cola/RCCola/licorice slight plummy light toasty/oak finish w/ modest tangy
tannins; not an ElisabettaForadori but speaks strongly of Teroldego and one of the best from Calif; can use a
few more yrs yet to moderate the tannins. $25.00
_____________________________________________________________________________________
More litzsnackle from TheBloodyPulpit:
1. Stekar: I was excited when Paul told me he was bringing the Stekar wines. When I spent time in GoriskaBBrda,
I stayed at the Stekar Agriturissmo and tasted thru Janko Stekar's wines. Alas, false alarm. Turns out there
are two Stekars on the tiny road between Hum and Snezatno. We stayed at Kmetija (farmstead) Stekar
(www.KmetijaStekar.Si), which is just 100' up a tiny road behind Hisa (house) Stekar (www.Stekar.Si). This
property is owned by Roman (father) and Jure (son) Stekar. From their WebSite, Hisa looks to focus their
restaurant and Agriturissmo, with maybe the wines more of an after-thought; though the wines certainly didn't
reflect that idea. I presume the two Stekars are related but I couldn't verify that. Both share a large bowl
that looks down on the small Snezatno village, with Smartno perched up on a hilltop off in the distance. On
a clear day, you can see the Adriatic and the city of Monfalcone from Kmetija. The GoriskaBrda area of
Slovenia, a pointy bit of land the abuts Friuli/Collio, is an absolutely beautiful area covered in vnyds,
sharp hills, spectacular. And the people are extremely friendly. Highly recommended.
Both the Stekars are biodynamic/organic growers and what you would term natural winemakers. I recall the
Kmetija being a bit more interesting and varied than these Hisa Stekar wines. But both are very good examples
of GoriskaBrda wines.
this was an interesting portfolio of wines that are rather different from many of the commodity wines that we
get here in NM.
4. The SiviPinot & Harrington I retasted at home in detail later on.
a few yrs ago. After we tasted thru here entire lineup, including her single-vnyd Teroldegos, we opened this
Harrington up. She sniffed & tasted, cocked her eyebrow and remarked that "this is pretty good Teroldego",
then added w/ a twinkle in her eye..."but not as good as mine" !!
Tom

Edited by TomHill (10-09-2018 06:58:50)