Cracked this last night w/ our flank steak:
1. AlbanVnyds Syrah Reva AlbanEstate/EdnaVlly (15.6%) 2001: Very dark/black color w/ some bricking; intense charred/burnt/smokey/toasty/Fr.oak intense blackberry/boysenberry/Syrah/licorice/pungent slightly dried out rather complex nose; quite tart/tangy very pungent/smokey/burnt/charred/Fr.oak very strong blackberry/peppery/boysenberry/very ripe/bit jammy slight roasted/pungent slightly tired/faded rather complex flavor w/ modest ripe/tangy tannins; very long/lingering very strong burnt/charred/toasty/Fr.oak very strong blackberry/peppery/licorice slighted tired fairly complex finish w/ modest smooth/ripe tannins; showing a bit of dried-out character but still loads of fruit.
1. I opened this w/ low expectations expecting to find another old Alban w/ brutal tannins it'll never outlive. It was not. Still plenty of massive/ripe fruit and loads of charred oak but the tannins have subsided enough that this was one of the better old Albans I had. Shows a bit tired/dried out and not going to get any better I suspect. But it shows a degree of complexity rare for an old Alban Syrah, a complexity that you routinely get in a BobLindquist or SteveEdmunds Syrah. Still a bit youthful but not going to make great old bones.
Tom