These are from Brian's sale a couple years ago. Finally got around to trying them with modest hopes. They are both from the Brousseau vineyard. It is up by Chalone and the family had some connection to "old" Chalone. It was always one of my favorite sites for Loring pinots. Someone else now gets the fruit, maybe Sarah's and/or Testarossa??

2008 Loring "Brousseau" (Chalone)(SLH) 15.2%. Decent maroon color, slight browning, rusty, one color ring, good clarity, somewhat musty and reticent nose. Blackberry fruit profile, clean finish with some acid, and a little sludge. Overall, a bit tired, but not OTH. I'd call it "fully mature."

Next up was the 2006 which I figured would be shot. Not.

2006....same info but only 14.7% alcohol. Nice color, way more vibrant than the 2008. Ruby color with good clarity, one color ring, good legs/viscosity. Nose is black cherries, smooth mid palate with a clean finish, although just a little bitter. This is a drink/hold and in no danger.

Go figure on these. One notable difference is the alcohol. Brian went through a "phase" where he pushed the alcohol to the edge of the envelope, then he backed off. The current wines are much more moderate.

This was an interesting exercise. Brian always said to drink the wines early, but not so much these days. I also have some library chards to try, and that should be interesting as well.