Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#372490 - 02-28-2012 17:37:58 SFChron: JonBonne On Grenache....
TomHill Online   content
Venerated Icon
Elvis Has Entered the Building!

Loc: LosAlamos
Interesting article by JonBonne in today's SFChron on Grenache:
SFChron:Grenache

Jon recently asserted in his "trends" article that Grenache was ready to step in for Syrah, which has stumbled badly in the marketplace of late. Don't agree w/ that at all. One of the criticism of Syrah that has been raised over the last few yrs is that its diversity of style leaves the poor consumer out there in the marketplace confused over what Syrah is supposed to be. Well...I maintain that that diversity of style is even more prevalent with Grenache than it is with Syrah. I find Grenache all over the board, from just another pretty face to serious and profound like the Alban and SQN.
To me....Grenache is that hot-chick cheerleader that you were dying to lay..but Syrah is the one you want to marry and have kids with and talk about the Higg's Boson and its profoundities with. Sorry, Larry.
Tom

#372491 - 02-28-2012 18:08:15 Re: SFChron: JonBonne On Grenache.... [Re: TomHill]
BEB Online   content
True Southern Exposure
Crazed Wino

Loc: Somewhere in the Great Valley ...
There you go again, going all middle school mentality on us again, Tom. grin

I thought Syrah was the hot chick/ cheerleader and Bordeaux was the one to marry ... !

If Syrah isn't the wine for fueling a midlife crisis, then why does every geezer in the wine world flock to Paso once a year for Hospice du Rhone? It sure as heck ain't for no stinking Grenache!

"I've wrestled with reality for 35 years and I'm happy to state I finally won out over it." Elwood P. Dowd

#372492 - 02-28-2012 18:18:18 Re: SFChron: JonBonne On Grenache.... [Re: TomHill]
Ken Zinns Offline
Obsessed

Loc: Oakland, CA
Grenache is one of those varieties that changes dramatically when blended. I'd guess that the vast majority of California Grenaches are blended with some Syrah and/or other varieties, and I think that accounts for a lot of the stylistic differences. The Alban Grenaches (at least back when I was buying them) had a considerable Syrah component. Many others out there have just a little Syrah blended in, but it makes a big difference - I know from experience with blending trials on Grenache for Eno Wines. I also believe that older vines give Grenache a depth that is tough to replicate with young vines.

And FWIW, I think Larry Schaffer's Tercero Grenaches are some fine 100% Grenache bottlings - I was particularly impressed with his '08 Larner Vineyard Grenache when I visited him last month.

#372493 - 02-28-2012 18:24:58 Nope.... [Re: BEB]
TomHill Online   content
Venerated Icon
Elvis Has Entered the Building!

Loc: LosAlamos
Originally Posted By: BEB

I thought Syrah was the hot chick/ cheerleader and Bordeaux was the one to marry ... !

If Syrah isn't the wine for fueling a midlife crisis, then why does every geezer in the wine world flock to Paso once a year for Hospice du Rhone? It sure as heck ain't for no stinking Grenache!

Nope, Boyce....Bordeaux is the one you want to go out and muck out the cattle stalls with!!! :-)
Tom

#372496 - 02-28-2012 19:45:00 Re: Grenache.... [Re: Ken Zinns]
Bob Cuozzi Offline
Regular

I have to go with Ken....I think this varietal really benefits from some syrah, mouvedre....or even viognier as with SQN.

I have had few 100% grenache wines I thought were better than ones with a splash of the additional varietals...inc those from CdP.

Cheers, Bob

#372504 - 02-28-2012 21:58:18 Re: SFChron: JonBonne On Grenache.... [Re: TomHill]
Bryan Briscoe Offline
Obsessed

By coincidence I recently had a couple grenaches that were real eye openers for me(I've found most of the domestic ones I've tried to be too sweet and candied). An 08 Turkey Flat was a deep, dark, brooding monster with loads of earthiness and character that was screaming for lamb and an 07 Daniel Gehrs(Santa Barbara) that was actually a real show stopper; tons of dark cherry, red licorice, smoke, earth, and funk. A very sensuous wine(great fireplace wine as one taster put it). Has put grenache back on my "watch list".

Cheers,
BB

#372730 - 03-12-2012 23:25:12 Seriously... [Re: TomHill]
BEB Online   content
True Southern Exposure
Crazed Wino

Loc: Somewhere in the Great Valley ...
Originally Posted By: TomHill
Jon recently asserted in his "trends" article that Grenache was ready to step in for Syrah ... Don't agree w/ that at all.... Well...I maintain that that diversity of style is even more prevalent with Grenache than it is with Syrah. I find Grenache all over the board, from just another pretty face to serious and profound ....

Yeah, I gotta agree with you, Tom. I remember the taste of the first Grenache I ever had. Nothing but the tobacco taste of Swisher Sweets. It was nasty. I stayed away from Grenache for a long time. But then I found New World GSM blends and I kinda liked them "despite the Grenache," I would say. Then I was turned on to some Spanish 100% Grenache, and wow, I realized it wasn't Grenache I didn't like, it was a style of winemaking.

"I've wrestled with reality for 35 years and I'm happy to state I finally won out over it." Elwood P. Dowd

#372843 - 03-17-2012 18:14:00 Re: Seriously... [Re: BEB]
larry schaffer Offline

Sorry I'm late to the party here, but thought I'd chime in a bit . . . and thanks to Ken for the nod (-:

I do believe Grenache can stand on its own when 'treated well' - planted in the right area, perhaps some whole cluster to give it the midpalate that it may be missing and to add structure on the back end, no new oak so that the wonderful aromas are not 'masked', picked ripe enough to overcome the naturally bitter and tannic skins.

I dig the variety and work with both warmer and cooler climate sites - and have, up to this point, only added syrah to one of my grenaches - the first one I ever made - and this was to 'knock back' the candied elements of the warmer climate fruit.

I will be bottling a few 100% whole cluster fermented grenaches in the near future - I'll have to get some of these into your hands . . .

Cheers!

Misc. Stuff
Muscadine winegrapes
Muscadine wine collection
2010 Garnet Pinot Noir - Rodgers Creek Vineyard
Promise Wine
Dom Perignon
Chappellet Wine
Lawer Family Three Coins Wine
13 Blackbirds
Old Wine
2009 HdR Last Seminar