Notes from a blind tasting – interesting theme – blended wines with two or more varietals. I thought that this might have mediocre results but in fact it turned out very well!

2019 Terravista Figaro – a BC wine made from white Rhone varietals – 45% Roussanne, 28% Viognier and 22% Marsanne. Light yellow colour, a nose of stone fruit with citrus highlights, and some ripe pear. Good length and perfect with the food (I did a braised leek, and sliced avocado salad garnished with a butter stuffed salted radish, all dressed with a tarragon olive oil, garlic and black pepper vinaigrette.

1992 Ridge Geyserville – I have always enjoyed this wine and continue to cellar some old vintages. The 92 was 65% zinfandel, 20% carignan, 15% petit sirah. Medium colour, an initial nose of dusty mint, rather claret like, and the fruit seemed to get riper as it opened up.Medium length.

1994 Ridge Geyserville – my wine, cellared since release. 68% zin, 20% carignane, 8% petite sirah and 4% field blend mataro (mourvedre). Also holding up very well with good fruit and a bit darker colour than the 92. Bright, also clatter like and it picked up caramel with time in the glass. Both wines resembled Bordeaux, both were in excellent shape and it was a toss up as to who preferred which wine. I still have some 95 and 98 to get into soon.

2013 Bedrock Wine Co. Heritage Wine Evangelho Vineyard – this was a blend of zin, carignan, and mourvedre, dark with a pleasant nose of typical zin fruit. A tad ripe and sweet, it is ready to drink now.

2011 Mas de Daumas Gassac – this classic wine from Languedoc contains around 80% cabernet sauv. With the rest being a melange of a dozen other varietals Big dark minty wine with ripe plum and a floral element with black currants coming out with a bit of air. Nice wine, good length.

2010 Mas de Daumas Gassac – the second ‘great minds think alike’ moment of this tasting. Slightly funky cab based nose, good colour, no funk and no cedar, fresh on palate but the nose not as enticing as the 2011.These rustic wines are just hitting prime time with no rush to drink them.

2000 Ch. Cantemerle – this Medoc was the sole Bordeaux entry – it is mostly cab sauv and merlot with some cab franc and petit verdot. Completely mature noe, it showed well with a very slightly funky capsicum nose, consistent with an over all impression of greenness, and a very dry finish. Showed some cola and smoke with time. Ready to roll, no point in long term cellaring.

2009 Bodegas Muga Rioja Seleccion Especial – inky dark with a cherry cough drop nose, and fully developed tannin – now soft medium long pleasant wine. Pleasant.

1994 Burmester Port – I had only the one bottle so didn’t know what to expect. It was a tad pale in colour but showed good concentration and length now with some pleasant chocolate cherry notes. Tannins very soft and medium high acidity at the end, but pretty good showing.

Image at https://www.wineberserkers.com/forum/download/file.php?id=96441&t=1