Parusso Barolo Mariondino 1996

14% Imported by Skurnik, NY / A Marc De Grazia Selection

The Mariondino vineyard is in Castiglione Falletto. Parusso is the only one making Mariondino, as far as I know. I saw a bottle of early '70's Vietti in a restaurant in Bend, OR that was from the Mariondino vineyard.

3+ hour decant.

"Seems less like a great solo, but still powerful. Spicy in a unique way. Bold, acidic, hints of modern but mostly traditional. Nose - very inviting - rose/cherry. Great step up with food. Cool, menthol. Medium-bodied. Poignant and nicely balanced. So satisfying. Too much decant?"

The great solo comment refers to that it wasn't a virtuosic performance by the wine but more of an ensemble performance or one with less highlights. Compared to the Parusso Bussia Rocche from the same year, this was smoother and more satisfying, more savory but the Bussia was far more complex, exciting and virtuosic. This one was a touch boring and disappointing in comparison. That's also why the "too much decant?" comment. I was expecting a little more. Had a little tiny bit that next day that was similar but had a disturbing (modern?) aspect to it that was too much in some way and detracted from the wine.

Had this with roast partridge, which was fantastic. Much better than last time, which was probably due to the cook/recipe.

Thanks
Fraser

Attachments
Parusso Barolo Mariondino 1996.JPG