Mauro Veglio Barolo Castelletto 1996
Imported by Skurnik, NY
A Marc De Grazia Selection
14%

Conclusion: Not exciting and doesn't taste like Barolo.

This had a black current, raspberry, slightly plum flavor that was ok. The nose was reticent. It was good as an international wine. Recognizable as an Italian wine but not as a Barolo. Interestingly enough, the oak was well integrated and I didn't really notice it much. Clearly modern though. Nose: Slightly alcoholic. Needs time but not sure where this is going. A little dilute at times. This achieves the goal of early drinking and integrated oak. Needs long decant maybe. A "B" wine - decent for the price. Slight rose. Needs depth. Nose develops with time getting more intense and concentrated. Slight coffee and chocolate. Achieves richness and concentration with time. Gets dry and puckering after time. Shows power. Something that says, "This could be a very nice wine depending on [how many hours open & ?].

Funny because I didn't come away with a good impression but the notes sound pretty good at the end, like '96 would be expected to develop!

I was pretty down on Veglio after a '96 Arborina soon after release but upon reflection I think it was corked. I'm not exactly sure what to think after this wine. Based on my conclusion I wouldn't be tempted to do anything much with it. Based on the notes, I'd age it for 10/15 years and it might be pretty good or decant for long (4+ hours).

Thanks
Fraser

Edited by fraser (03-02-2012 04:52:39)