Castello di Poppiano Il Cortile Chianti Colli Fiorentini 2012

A bit of bricking at the rim, yet the core remains a bright ruby. The nose is rather muted, delivering only wisps of tart black cherry, tar, balsamic and rosemary. The attack is tart; acid plays as much a role here as do the tannins. While the profile mimics the bouquet, it does so hesitantly. The indistinct flavors are reserved and one dimensional. There is nothing gracious about this wine. The mouthfeel is medium leaning to light. Of the triumvirate of acid, tannin and fruit, the fruit fails to pull its weight. It fails to deliver leaving the wine incomplete. Texturally, the mouthfeel is a bit thin, with the acidity pounding down the tannins into fragments which are pulled across the tongue by the acidity. The finish is surprisingly long for what is otherwise a rather forgetful pour. Some slight sediment. 13.5% alc. With homemade lasagne including homemade pasta. 01.15.17. Recommended with reservations, but leaning toward Not Recommended.

"I've wrestled with reality for 35 years and I'm happy to state I finally won out over it." Elwood P. Dowd