I Fagiani D'Oro di Angelo Gaja Vino Da Tavola Vigna Veja 1976

12.8%

There were 40 bottles of this at auction for $30 apiece. Never been interested in Gaja (1964 Infernot aside), never bought any nor tasted any. But this piqued my interest due to the price and the notion that it might be quite a good bottle because of Gaja's quality standards and their amazing holding of prime vineyards. Would they have put out a crappy wine in a crappy year? (Actually found out 1976 is average rated). I took a chance on this because I thought there was a good chance of kissing a frog and finding a prince. I was also intrigued by the Vigna Veja labeling which I had never seen before - old vineyards as opposed to old vines Not exactly sure what it means.
Is this not Gaja's second label and might not this be declassified Barbaresco, even his SV wines as a few were not made in 1976?

The bottle condition was pristine as well as the fill.

Quite the over-achiever for 1976. Probably better than most '76 wines today.

No decant. Cork crumbled into the wine.

Palate was cool, menthol, tobacco, black cherry, rose and strawberry.....the last two were primary. Some watermelon flavors which always strike me as slightly dilute in nature. This diminished over time.

Still slightly acidic with a little bite. Old school and smooth. Good concentration and persistence.

The nose was compelling, acute, poignant and striking.

Recommended to decant 1-3 hours as it picked up structure and concentration at the end, i.e. improved. Recommended +. The equal of any decent Barolo or Barbaresco from any year.

With fontina, porcini powder, prosciutto and mushroom pizza. A decent match.

Thanks
Fraser

Attachments
I Fiagiano D'Oro di Angela Gaja 1976.JPG

Edited by fraser (09-12-2022 13:52:47)