What wine for grilled cheese?

Posted by: BEB

What wine for grilled cheese? - 04-05-2014 09:36:58

And yes, I'm dead serious. We have locally what passes as an excuse for a wine bar with a riff on grilled cheese and wine. The spousal unit and I decided we can both prepare better varieties of grilled cheese and have broader and better selections of wine in the house. I'm going with a swiss/fontina version of the sandwich. A rosť would suffice very nicely, but I'm also thinking a Viognier might work as well or better. Any suggestions?
Posted by: Jim Harris

Re: What wine for grilled cheese? - 04-05-2014 12:41:34

Mmmm, love grilled cheese sandwiches. I have tried various wines with them because of the various types of cheeses that can be used. Generally, and because of the butter I put on the bread before the cheeses go on, I have liked California chardonnay the most, even if I put a tomato on there. I have had vermentino with them as well. Grillo from Sardinia has worked well. With your selection of cheeses, especially if there is gobs of butter in there grin I'd do a medium bodied Cal chard with some good acidity. You got me in the mood for one. Perhaps this weekend.

Cheers,
Jim

Re: What wine for grilled cheese? - 04-06-2014 05:23:58

Jim,

Thanks for your response and good advice. When I next sit down with a grilled cheese (which won't be too far off), I'll take your advice and pull a Ca. Chardonnay. I also like the idea of Vermentino. On a warm summer day, I think I could really groove on that. For this sa'mich, however, I proceeded with a rosť from Ampelos. Mighty tasty with all those watermelon and pear flavors.

BEB
Posted by: Bryan Briscoe

Re: What wine for grilled cheese? - 04-23-2014 09:06:22

Know I am late to the party on this one but I am famous for my grilled cheese/caviar sandwiches and champagne appetizer.

Using good European style butter butter two slices of good white bread(crust removed) and place two thin slices of good Gruyere on each piece and then on one piece spread a layer of caviar right to the edge. Toast as you would any grilled cheese and then cut into 4 triangular servings and garnish with chopped chives or chervil. It is smoking good with champagne or iced vodka.

Your welcome,
BB
Posted by: Jim Harris

Re: What wine for grilled cheese? - 04-24-2014 13:31:14

Bryan,
The possibilities are endless. I just thought of using Delice de Bourgogne (my favorite Champagne cheese)as a base! Then the caviar!

Soon I will do this!

Cheers,
Jim

Re: What wine for grilled cheese? - 04-26-2014 08:15:08

Just when I didn't think Bryan's response couldn't get any better, there you go and improve upon it, Jim. We enjoy Delice de Bourgogne also. I'll have to give your version of grilled cheese a go.
Posted by: Bryan Briscoe

Re: What wine for grilled cheese? - 04-26-2014 12:31:56

Obviously need to check out this Delice de Bourgone of which you both speak. Thanks for the suggestion.