Has anyone used an induction stove top?

Posted by: Brad Harrington

Has anyone used an induction stove top? - 09-10-2014 14:56:05

I have a large set of cast iron that I have not been able to use for years. We only have electricity in our current condo and we have one of those ceramic stoves that don't allow cast iron. I have been tempted to pick up a single large induction burner that would allow me to use my cast iron.

Curious if anyone has experience with them and what the pros and cons might be.
Posted by: R. Schiffman

Re: Has anyone used an induction stove top? - 09-10-2014 18:11:06

I have one. I don't use it a lot, but I like having it. The biggest issue I have is it can overheat too easily. I was hoping to use it to sear steaks after cooking the sous vide. However, getting the case iron hot enough to do that causes the burner to stop because it's over heated too quickly.

OTOH, for normal cooking and simmering, it's really good. I get a lot of control over the heat and it's quick to heat. So, it's a bit of a mixed bag depending on what you want to do.

Re: Has anyone used an induction stove top? - 09-11-2014 12:48:21

So, when the cast iron gets really hot, it overheats and turns itself off?

That does kind of defeat the purpose, hmmmm. You think they ALL do that?
Posted by: R. Schiffman

Re: Has anyone used an induction stove top? - 09-13-2014 16:41:51

I don't know if they all do it, but mine does. Yea, it kind of defeats a lot of the reason for having it.
Posted by: Mel Hill

Re: Has anyone used an induction stove top? - 12-14-2014 21:19:37

I guessing you are really talking about a single burner induction burner as apposed to a four burner built in or a freestanding range. ( my folks have had an induction stovetop for 20 years) and it works great if you have the right pans.

I've got one burner and use it to fry stuff outside. Only bought it because it was a Costco closeout for about 1/2 off.

Re: Has anyone used an induction stove top? - 12-20-2014 13:38:23

Yeah just want a single burner and would likely just use it inside. I'm wondering if Rod's problem is more of an isolated brand specific problem and that I would be fine with another brand?