TN: Cowan Cellars Ribolla Gialla Russian River Valley Sonoma 2012

Posted by: BEB

TN: Cowan Cellars Ribolla Gialla Russian River Valley Sonoma 2012 - 04-08-2017 15:56:37

Cowan Cellars Ribolla Gialla Russian River Valley Sonoma 2012

What is the color of this? It isn’t yellow. It isn’t a rosé. It isn’t brown (by any stretch). But it is beguiling. The flavor is more fig than any other fruit ... but then some citrus creeps in. Perhaps some cream on the attack with melon and acacia flower. The finish of fig and melon is joined by basil, mineral and a touch of nuttiness. The finish is clean. 11.7% alc. With oven-roasted shrimp, assorted, random cheeses - Roaring 40's blue (worked incredibly well!), Meadow Creek Grayson, brie, olives (again, worked very well), bread. 04.01.17. Recommended.
Posted by: TomHill

Think... - 04-10-2017 07:47:10

I think Jim used some limited skin-contact on this Ribolla.
Which would explain the color.
Tom
Posted by: BEB

Re: Think... - 04-10-2017 09:31:48

Yes, he absolutely did; and the color is beautiful. When I first received the shipment a few years back, I don't recall it being that color (thought it was more of a standard white wine yellow), but this was rosé ... but not. A very interesting wine and one I rather enjoyed.
Posted by: Florida Jim

Re: Think... - 04-10-2017 10:36:21

Fermented on the skins to dry - so made just like a red wine.
The first year and a half this was in bottle it was reduced. These days, it's feeling better. 😎
Best, Jim