2007 Eagle Point Ranch Grenache

Posted by: Bob Davis

2007 Eagle Point Ranch Grenache - 05-30-2018 17:55:32

Popped open the synthetic cork to find a somewhat youthful smelling/tasting wine. It is what I expect Grenache to taste like. Medium body, good fruit, and just slightest hint of age after it was open for 30 minutes or so. Drink now.

I wonder how some other producers in that era had so much trouble with the synthetic corks but Casey did not. I have one more Eagle Point wine left. A Petite Sirah which was monster when first tasted at HdR and the last time I had one a couple years ago.
Posted by: Casey Hartlip

Re: 2007 Eagle Point Ranch Grenache - 05-30-2018 20:33:35

Bob, a chapter of my life I hope I never forget. That Grenache block we planted in 2002 after much planning and research. By 2007 we were just starting to get the feel for it. We coferment ed Syrah that year and the results were amazing. I wound up selling that wine on the bulk market. I feel if we could have kept the brand afloat a few more years that we might have broken through. As to the synthetic corks: I think the fact that our wines were so minimally manipulated made them able to handle such conditions.
Posted by: BEB

Re: 2007 Eagle Point Ranch Grenache - 05-31-2018 08:11:03

Of all the bottles I've enjoyed of the Grenache and Petit Sirah, I think only 1 had reacted badly to the synthetic cork. Those wines always punched above their weight. thanks for making them, Casey.