Three reds with differing results

Posted by: Charlie Chadwick

Three reds with differing results - 06-01-2018 17:56:47

Over the last three nights we had three reds that were of interest for different reasons.

2008 Bedrock Lorenzo's Heirloom Red Wine dry Creek Valley

100 year old vines, Zinfandel, Carignane, Petite Sirah, Valdigue and Cinsault in unspecified amounts. Give it some air and it's a rich wonderful wine. Warm spices on the nose with some raspberry notes. On the palate it shows raspberry, black pepper, some cherry. Great acidity and firm tannins, everything in balance. It finishes long with prominent red fruit and sharp spice notes. Lovely wine. Will hold for a few more years with no trouble. A-

2007 Sean Thackrey Andromeda Pinot Noir Devil's Gulch Ranch, Marin County

Disappointing. Reduced sulfur notes on the nose. There's some lovely intense fruit underneath, but it's hard to get over that nose. Soft tanins and not enough acidity to carry the fruit. Almost non-existent finish. I waited a day and the reduced nose blew off and showed some soft spice notes, but nothing else changed. I like Sean's Orion, but if this is an example, he doesn't know what to do with Pinot. C

2013 Papapietro Perry Pinot Noir Charles Vineyard, Anderson Valley

Not the greatest pinot I've ever had, but a thoroughly pleasant wine. Bright cherry and spice nose. Dark cherry and a a bit of strawberry on the palate. Nice warm spice notes. Soft tannins and good acidity. Moderate, spicy finish. Not going to make old bones at all (I'd drink over the next two years), but a very pleasant wine in my glass tonight. B

Charlie
Posted by: TomHill

Re: Three reds with differing results - 06-03-2018 09:52:47

Originally Posted By: Charlie Chadwick
Over the last three nights we had three reds that were of interest for different reasons.

2008 Bedrock Lorenzo's Heirloom Red Wine dry Creek Valley

100 year old vines, Zinfandel, Carignane, Petite Sirah, Valdigue and Cinsault in unspecified amounts. Give it some air and it's a rich wonderful wine. Warm spices on the nose with some raspberry notes. On the palate it shows raspberry, black pepper, some cherry. Great acidity and firm tannins, everything in balance. It finishes long with prominent red fruit and sharp spice notes. Lovely wine. Will hold for a few more years with no trouble. A-

2007 Sean Thackrey Andromeda Pinot Noir Devil's Gulch Ranch, Marin County

Disappointing. Reduced sulfur notes on the nose. There's some lovely intense fruit underneath, but it's hard to get over that nose. Soft tanins and not enough acidity to carry the fruit. Almost non-existent finish. I waited a day and the reduced nose blew off and showed some soft spice notes, but nothing else changed. I like Sean's Orion, but if this is an example, he doesn't know what to do with Pinot. C

2013 Papapietro Perry Pinot Noir Charles Vineyard, Anderson Valley

Not the greatest pinot I've ever had, but a thoroughly pleasant wine. Bright cherry and spice nose. Dark cherry and a a bit of strawberry on the palate. Nice warm spice notes. Soft tannins and good acidity. Moderate, spicy finish. Not going to make old bones at all (I'd drink over the next two years), but a very pleasant wine in my glass tonight. B

Charlie

Surprised to hear about Sean's Pinot.
Papapietro Perry makes good solid wines is my experience..but nothing profound. I always wonder how wnrys like this, below the radar, stay in business.
Thanks for the notes, Charlie.
Tom