TN: 2003 Alban Roussane Edna Valley

Posted by: Charlie Chadwick

TN: 2003 Alban Roussane Edna Valley - 06-12-2018 17:38:02

2003 Alban Roussane Edna Valley

The ongoing inventory of the wine cellar turned up a handful of 2001 to 2003 Alban Roussannes. I opened this one with very small expectations after my recent tasting of an older Alban Grenache. Deep gold in color (no,not oxidized). Not much on the nose even after quite a bit of air. The palate surprised me. The first impression is of honey and lemon. Just a bit of a nutty character. Actually not all that unpleasant. The only problem is that it starts to wear on the palate after a while and develop a chemical aftertaste. After about 45 minutes it's just dead. So, better than I expected. Probably much better a few years ago. Right now, about a B-.
Posted by: James Cross

Re: TN: 2003 Alban Roussane Edna Valley - 06-13-2018 09:48:49

Charlie: I believe John's roussane is actually his best wine. You can argue endlessly about the reds, but this white delivers year after year and has a lot of ageability. Maybe 2003 is a bit old; I just finished off my 2007s. Roussane is a very under rated white, much more interesting than viognier and Grenache blanc.

Along with Albans, I favor Qupe and Stolpman from that part of the world.
Posted by: Charlie Chadwick

Re: TN: 2003 Alban Roussane Edna Valley - 06-13-2018 17:27:10

James,

Just to be clear, I think the '03 Roussanne was a nice wine -- just way better 3 or 4 years ago -- it's a matter of what your palate is attuned to. I surely won't argue about Viognier vs Roussanne. And Grenache Blanc is a hit or miss thing with me.

Charlie
Posted by: BEB

Re: TN: 2003 Alban Roussane Edna Valley - 06-14-2018 10:01:42

Originally Posted By: James Cross

Along with Albans, I favor Qupe and Stolpman from that part of the world.

Ditto the Qupe and Stolpman Roussanes, and for my palate, I'll take the Stolpman any day.
Posted by: Bob Davis

Re: TN: 2003 Alban Roussane Edna Valley - 06-14-2018 13:38:47

Yep, love the Stolpman. Great price here in Maryland, ~$20.