TN: Idlewild Cortese FoxHill '14...(short/boring)

Posted by: TomHill

TN: Idlewild Cortese FoxHill '14...(short/boring) - 02-10-2019 16:29:11

Tried this Fri night w/ Susan:
1. Idlewild Cortese FoxHillVnyd/MendoCnty (13.8%) 2014: Deep golden/burnished bronze color; very fragrant honeyed/orangey/honeycomb/graham cracker slight floral/fruity very slight resiny/phenolic almost muscatty slight nutty quite complex nose; quite tart/tangy rather honeyed/honeycomb/orangey/graham cracker/honey grahams rather nutty lightly phenolic/resiny bit oxidative some bitter complex flavor; very long orangey/honeyed/honeycomb/honey grahams somewhat nutter/bitter quite tart/tangy bit oxidative slight resiny/phenolic somewhat lean/austere/rather bitter complex finish; has evolved in a very strange way & lost the lush fruit it once showed; seems more like a Georgian austere qvervi Rikatsetelli w/ a trace of oxidation more than the Idlewild I know & love; don't understand this wine at all. $32.00
5. Idlewild Cortese FoxHillVnyd/MendoCnty (13.8%) 2014: Med.dark gold color; medest phenolic/skin-contact/resiny
some orangey/honeyed/honeycomb very perfumed/floral complex beautiful nose; fairly tart some phenolic/resiny/
skin-contact strong orangey/honeyed/honeycomb bit pencilly light floral/figgy/appley quite complex flavor w/
light tannic bite; very long/lingering modest phenolic/skin-contact/resiny some figgy/floral/appley rather
orangey/honeycomb finish w/ light tannic bite; a beautiful skin-contact white w/ a great balance of fruit/
complexity and phenolic character. $32.00

I obviously loved that wine back then. This btl left me scratching my head. It was not a bad wine, per se, and was perfectely fine w/ the broiled keilbasa...but it had evolved into something I totally did not expect. I was particularly struch by the bitter streak it showed on the palate.
Tom

Posted by: Marc Hanes

Re: TN: Idlewild Cortese FoxHill '14...(short/boring) - 02-10-2019 17:16:39

When I bought one of the 2015 at the tasting room I was really tempted to lay down one bottle to see where it went. Even with "winery visit fever" I didn't do so. Would still have liked to see where it went or at this juncture goes. Would not be surprised if the result was very good or very bad. Just seems like a wine ruled by a capricious will.
Posted by: Florida Jim

Re: TN: Idlewild Cortese FoxHill '14...(short/boring) - 02-10-2019 21:16:18

Interesting.
I’ll break one out tomorrow and chime in.
Best, Jim

Great... - 02-11-2019 06:25:17

Interesting.
I’ll break one out tomorrow and chime in.
Best, Jim

That would be great, Jim. Sam's gonna pull one to try as well.
Tom

Re: TN: Idlewild Cortese FoxHill '14...(short/boring) - 02-11-2019 20:12:04

‘Had a bottle with spinach pizza tonight.
I’d say this one gives us hope - showed young with little oxidation and almost no sour notes. Perhaps a bit of bitter but off-set by freshness and citric tones. Much enjoyed.
That said, I had a bottle maybe six months ago that was more like yours; so bottle variation seems likely.
Let me know what Sam says.
Best, Jim

Musta Been an Off Btl.. - 02-12-2019 08:16:27

As FloridaJim reports:
Originally Posted By: "FloridaJim"

‘Had a bottle with spinach pizza tonight.
I’d say this one gives us hope - showed young with little oxidation and almost no sour notes. Perhaps a bit of bitter but off-set by freshness and citric tones. Much enjoyed.
That said, I had a bottle maybe six months ago that was more like yours; so bottle variation seems likely.
Let me know what Sam says.
Best, Jim

And as SamBilbro reports:
Originally Posted By: "Sam"

Hi Tom
I opened a bottle yesterday at the winery, and it seems like you had a off bottle. Ryan tried it too, and we both though it had great density and fruit.
So, the culprit sounds like heat damage, a faulty (porous) cork, or maybe a really low rate of TCA... I usually find that to not show TCA but to have hollowed out the fruit and liveliness. Or, maybe a combination of any of the above.
Want to leave a space in your next order and I’ll toss in a replacement bottle from the library?
Thanks,
Sam

Sam Bilbro
Idlewild Wines

Tom

Re: Musta Been an Off Btl.. - 02-12-2019 12:33:14

That is customer service.
Best, Jim

Nawwwhhh... - 02-12-2019 16:43:01

Originally Posted By: Florida Jim
That is customer service.
Best, Jim

Nawhh.....Sam should send me some kind of wine tchotke instead!! :-)
Tom