TN: 2017 Anton Bauer Ried Gmirk Gruner Veltliner

Posted by: Charlie Chadwick

TN: 2017 Anton Bauer Ried Gmirk Gruner Veltliner - 06-08-2019 11:08:17

2017 Anton Bauer Ried Gmirk Gruner Veltliner

Not much on the nose. On the palate there is melon, pepper, minerals, a hint of citrus, a bit of aromatic herbs. Good acidity and balance. Moderately long finish of citrus and minerals. Pleasant enough. This followed the leftovers of a bit heavier wine, so that may have affected my perception. I'll reserve final judgment until I've tried a second bottle. Right now it's a "B".

Charlie
Posted by: Marc Hanes

Re: TN: 2017 Anton Bauer Ried Gmirk Gruner Veltliner - 06-10-2019 19:26:47

Anton is a great guy, spent time at his house while touring Austria. The wines can be hit or miss. I tend to think his reds outshine his whites.
Posted by: BEB

Re: TN: 2017 Anton Bauer Ried Gmirk Gruner Veltliner - 06-11-2019 04:03:13

Cool nugget, Marc. And to add one more commonality to our connection, I met him in C'ville when he was hawking wines at one of the wine shops some years back. He was a pleasure to meet. And I agree with you that his reds seem to have a bit more interest to them. We occasionally snap up some Blaufrankisch for the fun of it or his Gmork GV for the Spousal Unit's wine chiller. Fun, easy drinking wines.
Posted by: Bob Davis

Re: TN: 2017 Anton Bauer Ried Gmirk Gruner Veltliner - 06-11-2019 07:41:49

I agree on the reds. We opened one (can't remember which) last year with about 10-15 years on it and it was stunning. I just couldn't find it anywhere in the states when I looked.
Posted by: Marc Hanes

Re: TN: 2017 Anton Bauer Ried Gmirk Gruner Veltliner - 06-12-2019 20:50:09

Anton was a kind of silent partner in KW Selection with Klaus. http://kwselection.com/

Early on in my wine biz career I had a deep misunderstanding with Klaus, in many ways spurred on by my bosses at the time giving me bad advice. So, Klaus and I did not part ways on good terms. But during the trip I had a good time with Anton, Leo Hillinger (crazy guy), and many others in their book.

I don't drink many of them these days due to high prices but I have found that maybe more than other geographies Austrian wines are vintage sensitive. You can't "buy the producer over vintage."

Anyway, Anton's wines to the best of my knowledge remain fairly priced for what they are and I wish the guy much success.