TN: DryCreekVnyd Chard DCVBlock 10 '18...(short/boring)

Posted by: TomHill

TN: DryCreekVnyd Chard DCVBlock 10 '18...(short/boring) - 03-22-2020 11:39:40

Tried this new release from DryCreekVnyd last night:
1. DryCreekVnyd Chard DCVBlock 10 RRV (13.8%; Hrvstd: Oct 22; w-c pressed; SaH: 23.2 Brix; TA: 0.61 gm/100ml; 93% brl frmtd; 80% malolactic) 2018: Light gold color; strong ripe/honeydew melon/Chard/bit pineapple modest pencilly/toasty/Fr.oak lightly spicy/nutmeg lovely classic Chaard nose; fairly tart/tangy rather rich/melony/lemony/Chard/honey dew bit spicy/nutmeg some Fr.oak/pencilly balanced lovely flavor; very long/lingering classic honeydew melon/Chard/lemony/spicy lightly tart/balanced/supple/understated some pencilly/Fr.oak finish; a lovely finely-crafted balanced understated expression of Calif Chard at a very fair price. $nc (SR)/$34.00
1. DryCreekVnyds: Since TimBell took over the winemaking at DCV, the wines have been going from strength-to-strength. Not just their Chards like this one, but their SauvBlancs, Zins, and Cabs. All finely crafted and expressive of their origins and varieties. Yet DCV never seems to get much recognition or buzz on the WineBoards. That's always been a puzzle to me. Maybe it's because of the ubiquity of their CheninBlanc in TJ's and maybe people regard them as just another commodity wine. But they are not. When I dine out and see a DCV wine on the list, that's almost always my choice, because I know it will deliver a good wine for the $$.
To me, DCV is the Jerry Lucas of the wine world. Most folks will have no clue as to who JerryLucas is/was. Do a Google on Jerry Lucas and note his Wikipedia entry. He now is known as Dr.Memory. He was an All-American BB player back in the '50's-'60's for FredTaylor at OhioState, back in my HS days. He was my hero. He was not a flashy or particularly athletic player, but he was one of the smartest and most finely polished BB players to ever walk onto the BB court. My understanding he now lives down in Atascadero.
Tom