TN: Two Inexpensive Chardonnays

Posted by: Charlie Chadwick

TN: Two Inexpensive Chardonnays - 03-23-2020 07:42:21

This might also be called "a hit and a miss". Tried two Chardonnays off the beaten path a bit.

2018 Citra Chardonnay Terre di Ciete IGT

From Italy. Basically a grocery store wine IMO. Light notes of pear and apple on the nose. Thin fruit, apples a bit of honey and some pepper notes. Decent acidity and balance. Finishes moderately long with honey, pear and lemon. It starts out fine, but fades in the glass quickly into a Sauvignon Blanc wannabe -- and not a distinguished SB. If you didn't tell me this was a chard, I'd have guessed SB. Nothing wrong with it, just no reason to buy another bottle. At least it's inexpensive at $9/bottle. "B" bordering on "C+".

2018 Excelsior Chardonnay Robertson

From South Africa and a whole different beast than the Citra. Pale yellow in color. A fragrant nose of lemon zest and tropical fruit. Sharp, beautifully delineated fruit, Apples, warm spice. With air a bit of pepper comes in. Gorgeous acidity and fine balance. Finishes long with spice and citrus. Gorgeous wine that, while it lacks the trademark minerality, reminds me a bit of a fine village Chablis. Should go out for another 5 years. Fabulous value at $10/bottle. "A"

Charlie
Posted by: Bob Davis

Re: TN: Two Inexpensive Chardonnays - 03-23-2020 09:54:32

That’s the general profile I remember when Jake used to sell them. Bright and acidic. Decent stuff.

How you guys holding up ver there?

So far so good here.
Posted by: Charlie Chadwick

Re: TN: Two Inexpensive Chardonnays - 03-23-2020 14:43:18

Bob,

We’re fine. Well stocked refrigerator and freezer, plenty of wine. I’m getting a big head start on a class I’m supposed to teach in the fall. But God help us if the internet goes down!

Charlie