TN: 2017 Walter Hansel Pinot Noir North Slope Vineyard Russian River Valley

Posted by: Charlie Chadwick

TN: 2017 Walter Hansel Pinot Noir North Slope Vineyard Russian River Valley - 06-15-2020 13:45:41

2017 Walter Hansel Pinot Noir North Slope Vineyard Russian River Valley

Deep earthy, cherry notes on the nose. The palate shows deep, lush fruit with some real elegance. Black cherries, blueberries, earth. Sharp tannins, great acidity and balance. Finishes long with dark fruits and fresh earth. Lovely now but needs time (2 to 3 years) to develop. Will drink well for years. "A". The Walter Hansel Pinots are an incredible bargain.

Charlie
Posted by: James Cross

Re: TN: 2017 Walter Hansel Pinot Noir North Slope Vineyard Russian River Valley - 06-17-2020 08:44:49

Walter Hansel is one of my favorite wineries and you are right about them being a bargain. The son is now running the place, so maybe prices will go up. I like the chards even more than the pinots.

We used to get the wines in Las Vegas, but they got into a hassle with the distributor, who didn't like dealing with the son. I get them now from the winery or K and L.

I stopped at the winery last December. It is on the rustic side; about 180 degrees off from Ferrari C. Nice people working but it is not really set up for tasting. It is also fairly hard to find west of S Rosa.

They now have a bistro in the same general area with a good list including some Burgs. That is a stop on my next trip.