Wines that are open for a few days?

Posted by: Brad Harrington

Wines that are open for a few days? - 06-22-2010 23:23:15

Does anyone here really believe that opening wines for days in advance can typically result in great drinking wine on 3rd or 4th day???

I open wines for 2 to maybe 3 days on occasion but usually find them oxidizing by day 3 to the point that they are not as enjoyable.

Every once in awhile I am surprised. I recently had a 2003 Beckmen Block 6 that I actually liked better on day 3, but only because the fruit had receded and there was a ton of dark herbal character that came to the front. It had oxidized a little but that aspect was minor and tolerable.

I hear people talk about opening wines for days at a time but for the most part, this is something I try to avoid. Second day, I typically like, past that is a crap shoot with more losers than winners.

What do you think?
Posted by: Randyhol

Re: Wines that are open for a few days? - 06-22-2010 23:48:34

I've never opened anything day or days before I plan to drink it. Heck, I hardly ever decant. Almost everything at our table is pop and pour.

But, we never finish a full bottle at a meal. So, back goes the cork with half the contents. Whites go into the fridge, reds generally back to the kitchen counter (or fridge if we're having hot weather). FYI, a discussion thread here from a while back convinced me to stop using vacuum pumps and gas preservatives. Haven't missed either for some time now.

I have had several such 1/2 consumed bottles we've let sit for 2-3 days, and have never been disappointed with the result. I don't make it a habit to push things out that far, more often a bottle is consumed in full over 2 consecutive days.

But, if one is to sit for 2-3 days, I don't stress, and I don't find any major deterioration. Once in a while it is clear the wine has lost it zing, but that seems to be an exception.
Posted by: Bob Davis

Re: Wines that are open for a few days? - 06-23-2010 02:05:59

Since I acquired a wine fridge I have been putting open bottles in and had them last 3-4 days with no problems. It keeps its temp between 45-50 degrees. I had never tried refrigerating open reds before and it works much better than the argon gas you get in a can.
BD
Posted by: blil

Re: Wines that are open for a few days? - 06-23-2010 05:20:32

I rarely even like wine on day 2. I can't imagine enjoying a wine on day 3. And I would never even consider one of these "extended decanting" sessions where the wine sits in a decanter for a day or two before it is served. (((shudder)))

I really don't appreciate even the slightest hint of oxidation in a wine. I'd rather fight through tough tannins (or just tame them with a big steak) than deal with any oxidized flavors.
Posted by: JFO

Re: Wines that are open for a few days? - 06-23-2010 12:57:53

I think it's a total crap shoot. I've had $8 wines that lasted way longer than 2 or 4 days, and more expensive wines that were bad on day 2.

I will say that I think older wines never last like that. In my experience, it's always been a younger wine.

When I was in CA in 2008, Arrowood was pouring their Monte Rosso Cabernet from a bottle that had been opened a week before. It was delicious. I've also seen where Giacosa tastes people on his Barolo when it's been open for weeks.

I once had a bottle of Rosemount Diamond Shiraz that I forgot about on the kitchen counter for a week. Before I poured it down the drain I figured I'd taste it. It was awesome. I was shocked.

So i've not noticed any pattern at all other than the young v. old scenario.

J
Posted by: TomHill

Yup... - 06-23-2010 13:21:02

Originally Posted By: JFO
I think it's a total crap shoot. I've had $8 wines that lasted way longer than 2 or 4 days, and more expensive wines that were bad on day 2.

I will say that I think older wines never last like that. In my experience, it's always been a younger wine.
When I was in CA in 2008, Arrowood was pouring their Monte Rosso Cabernet from a bottle that had been opened a week before. It was delicious. I've also seen where Giacosa tastes people on his Barolo when it's been open for weeks.
I once had a bottle of Rosemount Diamond Shiraz that I forgot about on the kitchen counter for a week. Before I poured it down the drain I figured I'd taste it. It was awesome. I was shocked.
J

I'm with the FoMan here. Sorta a crap shoot. Kinda like the single women here in LosAlamos say about the singles scene: "The odds are good...but the goods are odd".
I just stick a cork back in and leave it on the counter. I seldom see a wine that dramatically/noticibly improves sitting out. But I seldom see them crash and burn, either. Never any signs of oxidation, never turn to vinegear (unless it's a Coturri...then it's already there). They just seem to mostly lose aromatics and, in the case of reds, seem more tannic/astringent. Of course, for older wines (> 5 yrs or so), that decline is more rapid.
Tom
Posted by: BEB

Re: Yup... - 06-23-2010 13:28:45

Originally Posted By: TomHill
Originally Posted By: JFO

J

I'm with the FoMan here...

+2; it's a complete crap shoot. I have only rarely opened a bottle intending to leave it more than the next day, but occasionally leftovers do sit around. Results very similar to JFO and TomHill