White House won't disclose wine list

Posted by: BEB

White House won't disclose wine list - 03-14-2012 13:54:44

The WH, apparently with an eye toward November, won't disclose the wines or their prices, in connection with the state dinner honoring PM Cameron. Article here. Politics aside, I'd like to know the wines served and the pairings made. I don't care if they serve $100+ wines. However, I probably would care if they served $1,000+ wines .... That aside, it's a state dinner and, in my opinion, should be spectacular.
Posted by: JFO

Re: White House won't disclose wine list - 03-14-2012 15:34:06

Exactly. Who cares? I'm betting the White House doesn't pay "value" for the wines if they are $1,000 bottles. It's got to be prestigious to have your wine served at State Dinner. They probably get it for winery cost.
Posted by: Paul Nelson

the While House probably pays retail for wine - 03-14-2012 16:49:04

Originally Posted By: JFO
Exactly. Who cares? I'm betting the White House doesn't pay "value" for the wines if they are $1,000 bottles. It's got to be prestigious to have your wine served at State Dinner. They probably get it for winery cost.

I saw a show on Discovery about the White House. When purchasing food, the staff--in plain clothes--purchases food anomalously from various stores. This is to avoid any chance of intentional food contamination. My guess is the wine is purchased in a similar process. Otherwise the Secret Service would have to verify the delivery chain. Thus the wine is probably purchased at retail price.

Probably not - 03-14-2012 19:17:04

Originally Posted By: Paul Nelson
Originally Posted By: JFO

..... My guess is the wine is purchased in a similar process. Otherwise the Secret Service would have to verify the delivery chain. Thus the wine is probably purchased at retail price.

Not according to the article. It quotes Ware as saying,
Quote:
... the winery was approached by the White House and asked to choose which of its wines to serve. The price the winery charged the White House was “closer to the $115” than to $399, Ware said, while declining to name the price.
Posted by: Fred Berry

Re: White House won't disclose wine list - 03-15-2012 03:32:36

Just my guess, but I would suspect that wines chosen by the WH (regardless of the party in power) also reflect the political leanings of the owners of the winery...Iron Horse sparklers are served far more often than many others under a democrat administration (follow the $$$$$). Republican donors wineries are served much more often during their terms.

I'll assure you, the wines served at the state dinner will be disclosed within hours of the dinner.
Posted by: John Tomasso

Re: White House won't disclose wine list - 03-15-2012 12:20:08

You're right - Eric Levine, of Cellar Tracker fame, was a guest at the dinner, and put up the wines, including pictures, on Facebook.

NV Thibaut-Janisson Brut - USA, Virginia, Central Region, Monticello
(Beb - doesn't that just make your heart glow with pride?)

2009 Peter Michael Chardonnay Ma Belle-Fille - USA, California, Sonoma County, Knights Valley

2008 Leonetti Cellar Cabernet Sauvignon Walla Walla Valley - USA, Washington, Columbia Valley, Walla Walla Valley

2007 Iron Horse Vineyards Russian Cuvée - USA, California, Sonoma County, Green Valley

Re: White House won't disclose wine list - 03-15-2012 15:08:30

Originally Posted By: John Tomasso
NV Thibaut-Janisson Brut - USA, Virginia, Central Region, Monticello
(Beb - doesn't that just make your heart glow with pride?)

2009 Peter Michael Chardonnay Ma Belle-Fille - USA, California, Sonoma County, Knights Valley

The Thibaut-Janisson is a very nice bubbly for ~$25, but to be followed by the Belle-Fille would make it seem stripped and very lean. Nevertheless, I'd prefer to see Claude Thibaut's efforts on display than many of the other Va. possibilities.

Dr. Vino reveals all - 03-15-2012 17:36:42

Link to Dr. Vino on Cameron State Dinner
Looks like the Thibault-Janisson was only for the pass around crostini. And the comments about the dessert pairing continues to make me think that the WH staff is challenged when it comes to pairing food and wine.

Re: Dr. Vino reveals all - 03-15-2012 18:10:37

Originally Posted By: BEB
Link to Dr. Vino on Cameron State Dinner
Looks like the Thibault-Janisson was only for the pass around crostini. And the comments about the dessert pairing continues to make me think that
the WH staff is challenged when it comes to pairing food and wine.

There, all fixed. smile
Posted by: Dave Cuneo

Re: Dr. Vino reveals all - 03-15-2012 18:12:53

I heard Barry and Michele have an official "taster" who has to taste the food and wines an hour before serving, to see if they have been tampered with.

It was said that nixon secretly had Ch. Margaux served for himself while everyone else was getting the standard stuff. If I was President, I would have Quintarelli secretly poured for me.
Posted by: Bob Davis

Re: Dr. Vino reveals all - 03-15-2012 19:08:18

Very true about the tasters, for all presidents. I'm surprised it's such a long time before the food is served.

Re: Dr. Vino reveals all - 03-15-2012 19:13:54

Originally Posted By: Dave Cuneo
I heard Barry and Michele have an official "taster" who has to taste the food and wines an hour before serving, to see if they have been tampered with.

It was said that nixon secretly had Ch. Margaux served for himself while everyone else was getting the standard stuff. If I was President, I would have Quintarelli secretly poured for me.

Yes, that is true for all Presidents. I saw it on TV! smile
Posted by: Dave Cuneo

Re: Dr. Vino reveals all - 03-15-2012 19:19:56

In case of slow acting poisons.

Re: White House won't disclose wine list - 03-15-2012 19:43:48

I'd love to know how the White House "garden" can grow produce through winter?! They must have some serious greenhouses or something. I know it's been warm, but not that warm.
Posted by: Bryan Gros

Re: the While House probably pays retail for wine - 03-16-2012 05:22:59

What?
No wholesaler's prices???

You know, if I was president somehow, I'd be pretty disappointed if there wasn't a stash of really good stuff in the cellar....
That, and good seats at the olympics, would be the only thing that would make the job worth while!
Posted by: blil

Re: the While House probably pays retail for wine - 03-16-2012 15:03:55

No kidding.

And I'd use a presidential directive to make sure that cigar smoking was once again legal in the white house.
Posted by: Bob Davis

Re: the While House probably pays retail for wine - 03-16-2012 15:12:30

It isn't? Obama smokes. At least he used to after he became president. I doubt he had to go outside to do it. The SS would probably try to prevent that.
Posted by: Brad Harrington

Re: the While House probably pays retail for wine - 03-16-2012 21:07:19

There's always the cigars, er uhh I mean interns! blush