Why Is It Important for a Region to have a Signature Grape??

Posted by: TomHill

Why Is It Important for a Region to have a Signature Grape?? - 11-10-2017 09:14:22

I was reading EricAsimov's NYTimes article on FingerLake CabFranc:
FLX:CabFranc
and he suggested that one of the reasons LongIsland wines have not taken off is because of their lack of a signature grape (in addition to lack of quality) to establish their "identity" and proposes the success of the FLX CabFranc (in addition to Riesling) as the reason FLX is much more successful than LongIsland.

This got me to thinking (always a danger on a slow Fri morning): Why is it important for a region, especially an emerging region, to have one signature wine??

Eric (rightfully) points out that "few regions in the world flourish with only one signature wine." Clearly BDX=Cabernet/Burg=PinotNoir/Piemonte=Nebbiolo/Germany=Riesling/NapaVlly=Cab. But does that make other regions that don't have a signature grape less successful?? Friuli? Austria (red)? SantaBarbara? Sonoma? RogueVlly? AltoAdige? Macedonia?

To me, a region can be successful with a diversity of grape varieties. I'm always amused by the Paso folks wanting to establish their fame based on Rhone varietals. Baloney...they grow Nebbiolo and Aglianico as well as anywhere....world class.

So...I toss my question out there to all you folks to ponder. Don't lose any sleep over it, though. Obviously in my [stirthepot.gif] mode a bit.

Tom
Posted by: Roland Dumas

Re: Why Is It Important for a Region to have a Signature Grape?? - 11-10-2017 10:43:50

I think it might be less specific than a signature grape/blend, and more of a focused style or wine type. A region that proclaims it does cab, riesling, sparkling, and port-style isn't credible. It's a matter of brand credibility, because if your region is known for world class riesling, and loyal fans discover there are some warm spots that produce great cabs, you're ok.

When you think of Anderson Valley, what first comes to mind? Gewurz and Pinot. When you look closer, you find several other wines they do well there in that cool climate. Very credible.

In other words, you should be able to quickly do an association:

Napa: Cab
Dry Creek: Zin
Russian River: Pinot and Chard
Bdx: Cab blends

the = might be "rhone blends" or "german style"

To get a place in minds of consumers, you need an ="xyz" for the region and for the winery
Posted by: Brad Harrington

Re: Why Is It Important for a Region to have a Signature Grape?? - 11-14-2017 15:28:53

Yeah, Temecula needs Merlot!!

And I ought to know!!