TN: Castello Di Neive Barbaresco Vigneto Messoirano 1978

Posted by: fraser

TN: Castello Di Neive Barbaresco Vigneto Messoirano 1978 - 04-11-2019 19:30:02

Castello Di Neive Barbaresco Vigneto Messoirano 1978

14%

Messoirano is no longer made as a single vineyard Barbaresco but is currently blended into their Barbaresco classico/normal along with several other vineyards. It appears to have been made until at least the mid 90's. The vineyard is named after the wheat workers (contadini messori) and varies from 300 meters to 220 meters.

Decanted three hours and the cork was a mess - first time I have strained the wine. The wine had an unusual, somewhat unpleasant taste that I couldn't place. Not reminding me of Nebbiolo though. The last glass started to turn Nebbiolo like and was nice.

There was a drop or two the next morning that was very spicy, smooth, zero oxidation, very nebbiolo-like and VERY intense/concentrated. I was deeply surprised.

When I tried to post this last weekend unsuccessfully (7 days later), I checked the bottle and there were still a few drops left. To my total surprise, the wine was smooth, zero oxidation and very intense. Wow!

I think this is a 50/100 year wine and if you want to drink it sooner, you should decant 5-10 hours beforehand (or 7 days!). Amazing. I have two more that I'll treat differently based on this experience.

A highly spicy wine with major intensity and concentration. Rustic and maybe not the most complex wine though.

Highly recommended. Unicorn wine as there is little to no info on this wine.

Thanks
Fraser
Posted by: Dave Cuneo

Re: TN: Castello Di Neive Barbaresco Vigneto Messoirano 1978 - 04-15-2019 09:11:34

Great photo. They used to make a Barbera from that vineyard. I wonder if they still do? dc.
Posted by: fraser

Re: TN: Castello Di Neive Barbaresco Vigneto Messoirano 1978 - 04-19-2019 14:26:07

Thanks for the compliment, Dave!

here's a photo of Messoirano http://www.castellodineive.it/en/vigneti/messoirano

It sounds like they made a Barbara and a Dolcetto labeled Messoirano but neither are mentioned on their website. I see a Messoirano 2010 Dolcetto for sale in Germany. No sign of any Barbera.

Thanks
Fraser