24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#301674 - 02-01-2006 17:52:00 Some Wines Over the Last Month
Noel Offline
Local

Loc: Philippines
These notes will be brief.

Pol Roger Blanc de Chardonnay Champagne 1993 - Superior, clean, well-focused white fruit, demure yeast notes. Even better after the bottle sat in shaved ice for an hour - its bouquet opened up with generous toast/brioche which followed, though more discreetly, on the palate. Nice, bracingly dry champagne. Picked this up for slightly over $60. Great considering its moderate price for a vintage champagne.

Rolly Gassmann Riesling 2000 - From the Doc. Refreshingly light and crisp, citrus/lemon dominating, some white flowers in the nose, good acidity. Nice balance. Definitely enjoyable.

Chapoutier les Granits 1995 (Rouge) - From the Doc. Forward, rounded, smokey, ripe dark red fruit, lots of well-integrated wood, a faint "meaty"/slight tobacco underpinning. Decent weight. Nice.

The Doc served the next 4 bottles mentioned below (among others) at a dinner in celebration of Mrs. Doc's birthday (she favors right-bank Bordeaux). He gave her free choice from his cellar. Generous fellow.

Chateau Valandraud 2001 - Still young, obviously, but superb without doubt. This was my favorite of the evening together with the '98 Angelus. Sweet, forward aromas ripe red-fruit nose with notes of dark chocolate, espresso and sweet cedar. More layered and complex in the nose than in the mouth at this point. Lush, generous weight, long and confident finish. Loved it and hope to try it again in 3, 4 and 5 years.
    Chateau La Fleur de Gay 2000 - This is the third time I've had this wine. My old notes are as follows:
    Quote:

Absolutely hedonistic 100% merlot. Deep black-violet, it needs to sit in the glass for approximately 30 to 40 minutes to open up. Once it does, patience is rewarded by a nose of molten dark fruit, vanilla and violets. In the mouth, medium bodied, it is a long cool, luxurious silk of ripe plum, sweetish dark fruits, vanilla and lavender notes. To the back, black currants surface, following through to the finish.

Still consistent, but with added mocha notes mid-mouth and to the back. Loved it then, love it now.
    Chateau Angelus 1998 - This wine was singing straight from the bottle. Absolutely wonderful and distinctive Angelus aromas of dark plum, cassis, black olives, smokey sweetish cedar, hints of anise. This was followed in the mouth with added notes of earth and leather. Very well-knit, superior structure, good balance, very good weight. Superb wine.
    Chateau Clos St. Martin 2000 - A good wine, I liked it, but it, in my opinion, was easily eclipsed by the above-mentioned Angelus, Valandraud and Fleur de Gay. The Stockbroker and my wife disagree with me though. Beside said wines, the Clos St. Martin seemed a lightweight, lacking in body, its black and red fruit, red cherry, slight blackcurrants seemingly trying to come together but not quite there yet. As stated, it was good, but I doubt it will ever reach the heights of the other wines.

Laboure-Roi Puligny-Montrachet 1997 - Cheap, though somewhat well-regarded negociant outfit; I picked up a bottle out of curiosity. It was barely US$40. Attractive, limpid medium-gold. Intriguing nutty, vaguely oaky nose. Austere fruit, generous minerals, nutty, a decent dry white Burgundy. Nice enough at its price.

Chateau Pichon Lalande 1999 - Decent enough, but nothing great. A lightweight Pichon; pleasant cassis, slight cedar with touches of lavender and smokiness to the back. Merest hints of some leather and earth as well. Decent medium-body, nicely focused. The nicest thing I remember of this wine is its silky texture - a hallmark of Pichon Lalande. Still and all, I do not think I will ever buy another of these at approximately US$78.

Chateau Haut Marbuzet 1999 - Tried this out of curiosity. I generally consider wines from this chateau good value for money - the '95s were pleasing about a year ago. Its soft and approachable mix of dusty cassis, cherry, oak, and a tiny bit of slightly sweetish cedar were decent and charming enough. But that's about it. I'd buy more though at its price (approximately US$50).

Chateau Montus Cuvee Prestige 1995 (Madiran) - 100% Tannat. Brooding inky, dark black-red-violet, well-muscled, incredible tannins but relatively smoothed out. Mildly spiced moderately round black fruit with leather, tobacco and wood. Nicely knit at this point. Had it with a boldly-flavored twice-roasted duck with lentils. Good match (made by Bernie Sim, president of the Philippine Chapter of the International Wine & Food Society) as the dish drowned out my '99 Haut Marbuzet. Quite surprised that my wife liked this hugely tannic wine so much, specially the pairing.

Wither Hills Sauvignon Blanc 2004 (Marlborough, NZ) - Recommended by my friend, Graeme Gillies, a nice Australian fellow who I play golf with. Knowing my fondness for Cloudy Bay's sauvignon blancs (as well as my frustration with the lack of a readily available and steady supply thereof in Manila), he told me to check this other wine out - he said it wasn't quite the same level, but at the equivalent of only US$12 per bottle, "You just couldn't go wrong, mate!"

Well try it I did; and I totally agree with him. While it is not as clean, focused or well-delineated as Cloudy Bay, the tell-tale Marlborough marks are there - cool, freshly cut grass, gooseberries, grapefruit, citrus notes - nicely crisp, good acid. Great for bringing to the beach and serving with fresh fish and clams and lobsters. No, I didn't go wrong at all, mate. Good on 'ya!

Edited by Noel (02-02-2006 01:07:46)

#301675 - 02-01-2006 18:48:03 Re: Some Wines Over the Last Month
M. M c C a l l Offline
Local

Quote:

No, I didn't go wrong at all, mate. Good on 'ya!

Noel, you're a man of many dialects. I just didn't expect that one.

Quote:

Knowing my fondness for Cloudy Bay's sauvignon blancs (as well as my frustration with the lack of a readily available and steady supply thereof in Manila)

There seems to be a glut of Cloudy Bay SB in the Portland market right now. Want me to get some to your shipper in SF?

#301676 - 02-02-2006 01:22:43 Re: Some Wines Over the Last Month
Noel Offline
Local

Loc: Philippines
Quote:

Noel, you're a man of many dialects. I just didn't expect that one.

Filipinos are generally good mimics. So good, in fact, that my country is still on the watchlist for Intellectual Property violators. Well, at least we aren't as bad as China.

Quote:

There seems to be a glut of Cloudy Bay SB in the Portland market right now. Want me to get some to your shipper in SF?

Thank you for offering, Melissa. It doesn't seem to be as easy to get in California either. How much is it in Portland, if I may ask? I can also get it from Hong Kong, but I have to rely on my wife's brother-in-law to bring it in for me. While he comes to Manila every 2 weeks, he doesn't bring in more than 2 bottles at a time.

#301677 - 02-02-2006 19:35:12 Check your PM (e)
M. M c C a l l Offline
Local

(e)

Misc. Stuff
Muscadine winegrapes
Muscadine wine collection
2010 Garnet Pinot Noir - Rodgers Creek Vineyard
Promise Wine
Dom Perignon
Chappellet Wine
Lawer Family Three Coins Wine
13 Blackbirds