17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#294200 - 10-08-2005 16:31:40 Wines over the Last Three Weeks
Noel Offline
Local

Loc: Philippines
Have been a bit busy lately and, consequently, built up a bit of a backlog on notes. Some notable wines were:

Gaja Langhe Sperss 1997

This certainly was a handsome wine; an intense dark ruby red, lightening to deep red-orange to the rim; nicely reflective with fair clarity. Initial sniffs yielded scents of truffles, dark red fruit, a bit of cassis, a dose of dark spice, notes of sandalwood and sweet cedar. Full-bodied, it had alcohol to spare; velvety smooth, nice weight, dry, earthy flavors that mimicked the nose, the wood well-integrated and unobtrusive. Hints of violets mid-mouth and to the back; its balance was superb. Absolutely captivating.

I had this yesterday with medium-rare roasted Australian rack of lamb, courtesy of the Stockbroker, at the lunch he hosted at the Peninsula Hotel’s Old Manila in anticipation of his coming birthday.

Chateau Leoville las Cases 1982

Deep, dark, dignified red, going brick-red to the rim, hints of mahogany; the wine flowed languorously in the glass foreshadowing its great body. Hallmark las Cases bouquet and palate of cassis, leather, cedar, hints of black cherry, cedar; complex earthiness, unmistakably dominated by noble cabernet sauvignon. Great weight, yet not ponderous, a classic left-bank expression of the grape; this is a contemplative wine.

I brought this a few weeks ago to one of our regular lunches at Old Manila; again, paired with rack of lamb.

“Y” du Chateau d’Yquem 2002

A surprise from the Doc, I had this with my first course of escargot last Saturday dinner. Light straw yellow with a light gold blush. Ethereal, difficult for me to describe, I could detect the sauvignon blanc component, notes of some freshly mown grass, light grapefruit, some citrus; but there was also wintermelon, and the faintest hints of orange rind as well. Bright, refreshing, cleansing, but with confident Old World reserve. I know well the cold stoniness, flint say some, in fine Chablis, but this wine made me fully understand notes of “minerals” in white wine. If one is looking for an elegant, dry white, this be it. I loved this.

Chateau Montrose 1989

The Doc was on a roll that night; he pulled this gem which I enjoyed with seared duck breast. Stately, darkly reflective red with a midnight violet core; it had a bouquet of cassis, cedar, smoke, whisper of menthol, notes of leather. It’s flavors held true in the mouth, sans the menthol, with added earthiness and quiet suggestions of dark, ripe olives. Very pure, very refined, silk on the palate; it was slightly lighter in weight and on its feet compared to the 1990. Both vintages are wonderful, the only way I could choose between them would be the mood I’m in at the time. The 1990 was richer, heavier, with notes of roast meat and prune, both of which I did not detect in the 1989. The 1989 was far better focused, had cleaner lines and, over-all, was better balanced.

Le Vieux Donjon Chateauneuf du Pape 1998

A monolithic, almost ominous, dark purple with reddish highlights; this wine certainly and immediately made its presence felt, from firm attack to its extended finish. This wine had a somewhat high-toned air about it with rich scents and flavors of well-ripened cherries, blackberries, blueberries, notes of pepper, anise, nutmeg and slight cedar. Definitely full-bodied and unapologetically so, it filled the mouth, cool and luxurious on the tongue. A hedonistic wine, lots of alcohol, definitely a kick in the head. I’d love to try this again 3 years from now.

Chateau Le Bon Pasteur 1998

I posted notes on this in early February wherein I said it was “not exceptional”, an assessment the Stockbroker always disagreed with. I’ve re-tried this wine every so often since then. Around a month ago, it was absolutely singing so I opened another one last Saturday night to re-validate. No doubt, this wine’s time has come. While it maintained its “seamless, well-ripened, earthy black currant/dark plum/violet aromas and flavors” with a “(h)int of cherry and subtle tobacco underpinning”, it has opened up wonderfully with an alluring smokiness and added richness and sweetish dark spice. Superb.

If the Stockbroker reads this, bud, you were absolutely right.

Chateau L’Evangile 1996

This is the second bottle of this wine I’ve opened in the last couple of months. Dark, clear, reflective ruby-red with red-orange highlights, together with slight mocha notes to the back, suggesting much merlot. In the nose and mouth, light cherry liqueur, ripe dark plum, cassis, smoke and the aforementioned mocha notes. Medium-bodied, very smooth, it was just short of being silky. Not a long finish, but acceptable. Good balance. Quite charming, fairly elegant, but it won’t keep one up at night.

Chateau Siran 1982

From the Miailhes' own cellar. I've had this wine before from a magnum. Last Saturday's was a 750. Deep brick red showing a bit of mahogany. Medium body aspiring to fullness with a bouquet and rounded flavors of earthy cassis/dark fruits, notes of vanilla, licorice, hints of fennel and leather. Nice soft texture. I recall marginally more weight, confidence and over-all fullness from the magnum.

I have attached a picture of last Saturday's dinner: (left-right) Edouard Miailhe, the Doc, Herve, myself, my wife, Mrs. Doc (my wife's cousin) and Franck Alby.

Attachments
529346-Lolodads2.jpg (286 downloads)

#294201 - 10-15-2005 04:06:19 "Y"
M. M c C a l l Offline
Local

Noel, I just noticed "Y" in a mailer, and I'm trying to convince Steve that we have to try it. I'm sure your notes will help-- sounds like it was a real treat.

Misc. Stuff
Muscadine winegrapes
Muscadine wine collection
2010 Garnet Pinot Noir - Rodgers Creek Vineyard
Promise Wine
Dom Perignon
Chappellet Wine
Lawer Family Three Coins Wine
13 Blackbirds
Old Wine
2009 HdR Last Seminar
Newest Members