Last 2nd November, my little group returned to Old Manila for the 4th Blind Bordeaux Challenge. Defending his crown was the Doc who wrested it from my hands during the last challenge with his '98 Pavie in an extremely close fight with the Stockbroker's 2001 Angelus darkhorse.

With our appetizers, mine involved fresh scallops, the Doc again shared some of his 2003 Pape Clement Blanc with us - a most entertaining floral white with creamy oak-infused melon, citrus fruit, peach undertone, discreet lemon and orange rind and a hint of white minerals. Nice weight mid-mouth, its generous flavors well-balanced by acidity.

As main courses were served, so were the reds. From my hastily scribbled notes:

Wine # 1: Aged left bank, feminine, best nose, medium-bodied, deeply extracted ripe sweetish dark fruit, cassis, plum, sweet cedar, best balance.

Wine # 2: Aged left bank, masculine, 2nd best nose, meaty, truffled, blackcurrant/cedar/leather dominant, bigger than Wine # 1, less in the middle, longer finish.

Wine # 3: Young, 3rd best nose given time, matte black fruit in the mouth, shier in the mouth than the others.

Wine # 4: Young, reticent sweet dark berry and cedar nose, still primary fruit, good heft/mouthfeel, finish a bit short compared to 1 and 2.

The results tallied by the ever-reliable Sevrine Miailhe, the wines were unveiled as the results were announced.

1st Place: - Wine # 1, Edouard's Chateau Cos d'Estournel 1986 with 24 points total: 4 votes for 1st (Sevrine, my wife, the Stockbroker and myself), 1 vote for 2nd (Mrs. Stockbroker), 2 votes for 3rd (Edouard and the Doc) and 1 vote for 4th (Mrs. Doc).

2nd Place: - Wine # 2, the Stockbroker's Chateau Leoville las Cases 1985 with 22 points total: 2 votes for 1st (Edouard and the Doc), 3 votes for 2nd (Sevrine, Mrs. Doc and myself), 2 votes for 3rd (Mr. and Mrs. Stockbroker) and 1 vote for 4th (my wife).

3rd Place: - Wine # 3, the Doc's Chateau Pape Clement (Rouge) 2001 with 19 points total: 1 vote for 1st (Mrs. Doc), 4 votes for 2nd (the Doc, Edouard, the Stockbroker and my wife), no vote for 3rd and 2 votes for 4th (Sevrine and myself).

4th Place: - Wine # 4, my Chateau Palmer 1999 with 15 points total: 1 vote for 1st (Mrs. Stockbroker), no vote for 2nd, 4 votes for 3rd (myself, my wife, Mrs. Doc and Sevrine) and 3 votes for 4th (the Stockbroker, Edouard and the Doc).

So the crown was finally regained by Edouard who won the very first challenge with his 1982 Pichon Lalande. Congratulations to him, a victory well deserved, and, timely, as he has recently taken charge of his family's Chateau Siran.

On an ominous note though, this is the 2nd time the Stockbroker was edged out from claiming the crown by a hair's breadth; it is also the 2nd time my wine came in 4th place - events that certainly do not sit well with either of us. So let not le Roi Nouveau sleep too soundly, for the barbarians are at the gate once again, and hungrier than ever.