2001 Chateau d'Issan

The night before last, 1st November 2001, I decided to try out the subject wine to see how it was at this point. Until mid-last month, I had considered '01 Bordeaux generally unenjoyable, having tried many out just to get a reference point for the future.

However, after having tried and enjoyed the 2001 Leoville Poyferré at the International Wine & Food Society's (IWFS) anniversary dinner on September 18th, I decided to give the d'Issan a try.

I knew the '01 Poyferré was decanted for over 4 hours by IWFS Wine Master and President Bernie Sim, so I followed suit.

After 4 hours, although the wine's considerable size, pleasantly chewy texture and admirable structure were readily apparent (with an initial "blockiness"), it was still a bit reluctant in displaying its ripe, inky black fruit with faint dark cherry undertones and a bit of wood.

After around an hour more, however, it softened and opened up beautifully, finally displaying its Margaux perfume and flavors of delicately cedared cassis, molten/ripe black fruit, dark violet whispers and the lightest hint of licorice. Sweetish spiced black cherry and raspberry surface mid-mouth, gradually easing its way over the cassis/black fruit/violets to the back, and taking the lead in the long, graceful finish. All initial blockiness turning to elegance. Excellent performance.

I love it how good wine can transform and gain complexity and grace in the span of an evening. I think this wine has a lot to offer now (with extended breathing time) and will become even more beautiful over 20 years, or even more.

Kudos to Emmanuel Cruse.