Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#334707 - 11-13-2007 06:26:33 Blind "Anything But Bordeaux" Challenge II.
Noel Offline
Local

Loc: Philippines
Since we routinely hold blind Bordeaux challenges amongst ourselves, we figured it would be fun and educational to start holding "anything but Bordeaux" blind challenges as well. No restrictions on vintage, price, origin or varietal - just nothing from Bordeaux.

Last night was the second time we held it (notes on the first one to follow).

We started with some terrines of foie gras d'oie with fig compote paired with my 1997 Gewurztraminer Comtes d'Eguisheim by Domaine Leon Beyer that I picked up at a very good price at Bacchus International that afternoon - a wonderfully complex, bright and pure, alluringly floral gewurz with beautifully dominant lichee, peach mango flavors seamlessly intertwined with white flowers, roses, minerals and hints of petrol. Perfect balance of sweetness and acidity. If you can get some, please do so and I am sure you will be well pleased.

The Entries (had with a main course of rack of lamb):

Wine #1 - Obviously aged red (and the oldest wine of all), with a pungent gamey/truffled/earthy bouquet. In the mouth, again lots of gaminess, prunes, stewed black fruit and mushrooms with touches of violets. Edouard said he imagines "a wild boar hiding in the bushes, eating truffles". I guessed it was an old Provençal or Rhône and ranked it 3rd place.

It turned to be the Doc's 1989 Trevallon.

Wine #2 - I recognized this as my wine, having so enjoyed it twice before. The nose was very reticent and had to be coaxed (decanted for about an hour-and-a-half) to reluctantly give up a bit of cedar, black fruit with a whisper of raspberry and violets. In the palate, though, it made up for its reluctance. Broad, expansive sweetish, earthy red berry, black cherry, touches of olives, espresso and violets. Expressive middle, nice smooth tannins, confident finish.

After several passes, it was a toss-up between this wine and Wine # 4, but the finish eventually decided it for me. I ranked this wine 1st place.

As I guessed, it was my 2001 Badia Passignano Chianti Classico Reserva by Antinori.

Wine # 3 - Its forward nose of rasperry/red cherry-and-berry/blackberry/pepper (with a big dose of coconut cream and vanilla/oak) told everyone it was an Aussie shiraz. I recall asking the Stockbroker if Australia used a lot of new American oak, because it certainly smelled to me like this wine used a lot of it. On the palate, it was a big, unabashed, sweet, syrupy raspberry-led, vanilla/oak-laden parade with underlying cassis, pepper and toffee notes. I ranked it 4th place.

It turned out to be Edouard's 2001 Meshach Shiraz.

Wine # 4 - I didn't write any specific notes on this, save that it had a "good mouth-feel" and "nice on the palate". I recall thinking it had a nice touch of elegance and good balance, though I simply could not begin to guess its origin. As stated earlier, I eventually ranked this wine 2nd place.

It was the Stockbroker's 1997 Viader Cabernet Sauvignon. Not surprised I liked it. I've liked Viader's wines ever since I first tasted it around 2 years ago - the 2000 vintage, a gift from the Stockbroker.

All ballots submitted, the ever-reliable Sevrine tallied, computed and announced the winners:

1st Place - my 2001 Badia Passignano Chianti Classico Reserva by Antinori with 22 points.
2nd Place - the Doc's 1989 Trevallon with 18 ponts.
3rd Place - the Stockbroker's 1997 Viader Cabernet Sauvignon with 17 points.
4th Place - Edouard's 2001 Meshach Shiraz with 13 points.

Desserts of lemon soufflé, molten chocolate, chocolate truffles, etc. were enjoyed with the Stockbroker's 2003 Chateau de Fargues (which I had by itself) - undoubtedly the youngest Sauternes I ever drank (except at evaluative tastings) and I was so surprised how very pleasing it was so young. Pure, elegant, not heavy-handed at all, good weight but so nimble and light on its feet. Entrancingly playful on the tongue, nice and clean, and very enjoyable even now.

So it goes...now I prepare for December's battle for the Blind Bordeaux Challenge VIII. Edouard just left for Siran today, I'm sure he will be planning and scheming ways to retain his crown.

Edited by Noel (11-13-2007 07:12:20)
Edit Reason: Typos.

#334711 - 11-13-2007 13:43:49 Re: Blind "Anything But Bordeaux" Challenge II. [Re: Noel]
JFO Offline
Elvis Has Entered the Building!

Loc: America - Free and Proud!
"As I guessed, it was my 2001 Badia Passignano Chianti Classico Riserva by Antinori."

So true amico. This wine, I believe, is overlooked. Many people don't give it a thought. It is clearly his best CCR, with much more character than the Tenute Marchesi, although that is also very good. This is a better wine than Tignanello now, especially given the price of Tig.

Everyone always focuses on the Tig and the Solaia, but I'd be happy with a cellar full of the BaP CCR.

Fo

http://www.tuscanvines.blogspot.com/ Twitter: @TuscanVines

#334715 - 11-13-2007 14:35:30 Re: Blind "Anything But Bordeaux" Challenge II. [Re: JFO]
R. Schiffman Offline
Chief bottle washer
Obsessed

Loc: Orem, UT
I had a bottle of the 96 in the last several months that Sam Leone gave me as part of a trade several years ago. It was a really beautiful wine that was really starting to enter it's prime.

#334732 - 11-14-2007 09:23:03 Re: Blind "Anything But Bordeaux" Challenge II. [Re: JFO]
Noel Offline
Local

Quote:
So true amico. This wine, I believe, is overlooked. Many people don't give it a thought. It is clearly his best CCR, with much more character than the Tenute Marchesi, although that is also very good. This is a better wine than Tignanello now, especially given the price of Tig.

Everyone always focuses on the Tig and the Solaia, but I'd be happy with a cellar full of the BaP CCR.

I agree wholeheartedly, plus they are very reasonably priced as well. As you know, I've tried the '01 Tenute Marchesi, Badia a Passignano and Tignanello and do find the first two much more enjoyable than the Tignanello at this point. I figure the Tignanello will start coming into its own in around 5 more years. Definitely stocking up on the Tenute and Badia for current consumption.

Oh, and thanks again for the advice re my past Tuscan dinner.

Noel

#334733 - 11-14-2007 09:24:26 Re: Blind "Anything But Bordeaux" Challenge II. [Re: R. Schiffman]
Noel Offline
Local

Hi, Rod.

Will look for the '96. Hopefully I'll find some.

We're waiting for you here in Manila!

Noel

Misc. Stuff
Muscadine winegrapes
Muscadine wine collection
2010 Garnet Pinot Noir - Rodgers Creek Vineyard
Promise Wine
Dom Perignon
Chappellet Wine
Lawer Family Three Coins Wine
13 Blackbirds
Old Wine