Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#343240 - 06-26-2008 14:49:59 TN: Mauro Sebaste Barolo Monvigliero 1996
fraser Offline
Local

Loc: Seattle
Mauro Sebaste Barolo Monvigliero 1996
Imported by Bacco,Inc VA

Not a wine I would normally buy but I was persuaded by the price, the year, the vineyard and a recomendation by Luca M, at least at the producer level. Suprising though that I would, given my poor experiences with Sylla Sebaste(Barolo 1990), his mom I guess.

My first 1996 in a long time, this was purchased a number of years after the official release year.

Decanted for 3 hours. The nose early on was very closed and offered New World scents only. It opened up slowly to be very classic, with depth. An unusual apple, almost green apple scent appeared along with cherry and roses.

The palate was not very open, with some drying tannins. It picks up some depth. Still, the nose continues to be much richer than the palate. A tiny bit of oak.

This was a classic wine with some New World tendancies which cheapened the experience. Aspects of it tasted like an inexpensive WA state red. It had a huge nose but the palate didn't live up to it. In the end, I think the fruit quality was not what it should have been. A highly rated vineyard like Monvigliero in a high-rated year ought to produce some decent quality fruit, at least. This could have been a really nice wine had the fruit delivered but it dropped off in that department, leaving the wine feeling a bit unbalanced. It had the rest, good acidity and tannins. Good to good plus. I can't predict where this wine is headed. It stopped opening up after awhile and I could not find anything that made me feel like it is heading for glory. Who knows though. I have another I'll try in 10 years.

Thanks
Fraser

#343272 - 06-27-2008 15:10:00 Re: TN: Mauro Sebaste Barolo Monvigliero 1996 [Re: fraser]
Marshall Manning Offline
Elvis Has Entered the Building!

Loc: Portland, OR
The Montestefano Barbaresco from the same producer and vintage is also a solid wine, but nothing more. I didn't get any WA state character from that wine when we had it a few months back, but also didn't get as much fruit depth as I'd expect, either. I'll probably drink my remaining bottles over the next 2-3 years.

#392208 - 10-15-2021 14:03:19 Re: TN: Mauro Sebaste Barolo Monvigliero 1996 [Re: fraser]
fraser Offline
Local

Loc: Seattle
I read my tasting note after standing this wine up and given how unenthused I was, I was going to open it for a weeknight dinner. I thought better of it and that was the right decision!

This was a very nice wine. It even got the thumbs up from my wife, a good sign. It was a very old world presentation with mostly structure and acid, with some lively spicy notes and a little cinnamon/cloves. Kind of no fruit and that worked really well. Lots of impact. Not a shy wine. No sign of modern anything. Reminds me of the 1990 Marchesi di Barolo Sarmassa made by Sandrone in it's burgundian style and also of the deft winemaking here. Rereading the original tasting notes and based on my recent experience, I can see a description of a wine in transition, one that is still too young and hasn't come together yet. Expresses the vintage well. The last Monvigliero I had (1990 Terre del Barolo Riserva) was super-ripe by contrast - an expression of that vintage.

So pleasantly surprised by this wine. This wine could hang on for a long time and improve, I think. A few sips the next day were not degraded in any way. While writing this, I noticed there was one drop left in the bottle, a week later. It is pretty darn good! Improved. Sebaste no longer sources these vineyards - I hear that there was a conflict of some sort and he had to start over with new sources of fruit.

Paired with partridge in some sort of a colonial recipe - was just fair.

Thanks
Fraser

Attachments
Mauro Sebaste Barolo Monvigliero 1996.JPG

Edited by fraser (10-15-2021 14:25:35)

Misc. Stuff
Muscadine winegrapes
Muscadine wine collection
2010 Garnet Pinot Noir - Rodgers Creek Vineyard
Promise Wine
Dom Perignon
Chappellet Wine