Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#344452 - 08-06-2008 23:31:35 TN: Valtelline Nebbiolos...(long/boring)
TomHill Online   content
Venerated Icon
Elvis Has Entered the Building!

Loc: LosAlamos
We tried last night (8/4/08) w/ my SantaFe group some Nebbiolos of the Valtelline:
1. fay Nebbiolo IGT Terrazze Retiche di Sondrio (13%) SanGiacomo d'Teglio 2003: Med.light color;
strong fragrant Nebb/floral/lilacs/perfumed light tarry/earthy/pungent rose petal/spicy nose;
tart lean/austere light tarry/floral/lilacs somewhat tannic flavor; long austere/lean/tart
light floral/rose petal/lilacs/tarry finish; lovely ethereal perfume but a bit bitey/hard/
austere on the palate; probably needs age. $26.00
lush/ripe black cherries/floral/lilacs light tarry/meaty slight earthy/minerally finish w/
some tannins; needs more age; my favorite of the Nebbs because of its more Calif style.
$35.00
tarry slight floral finish; needs age; lacks the perfume that Nebb should have; pretty brutal
on the palate. $33.00
fruit & fragrance; slightly softer & more attractive on the palate. $20.00
out slight floral/rose petal finish; classic old Barolo character of lovely/fragrant nose
but painful on the palate. $28.00
flavor; very long tannic/acid/dried out/astringent RCCola/floral/rose petal finish w/ some
astringency; beautiful old Barolo/Nebb nose but bit too dried out/tannic, though not as much
as #5; lovely nose but hurtey to drink. $35.00
floral/lilacs/violets light licorice/tarry/pungent flavor; a lovely Nebb w/ a purity of Nebb
fruit you don't often find; very attractive Nebb for a fair price. $27.00
flavor w/ a slight tannic bite; very long black cherry/plummy/licorice slight perfumed/floral/
lilacs fairly rich/lush some pencilly/toasty/oak finish w/ a bit of tannic/astringent bite;
reminds me of a Siduri Pinot w/ a bit more structure & tannins; a really lovely rendition
of Calif Nebb if you accept it doesn't taste like Barolo. $26.00
plummy/licorice/black cherry slight raisened/Recioto finish; bit on the raisened side but good
ripe fruit character; needs more age. $60.00
wet dog fur/funky finish; didn't clear much w/ 15 min of breathing; pretty funky/weird
stuff. $29.00/hlf
ripe/plummy/licorice slight corked/musty rather acid/tannic finish; slightly corked but some
good fruit underneath. $55.00
volatile/hot flavor; very long ripe/plummy/licorice/pungent bit chocolaty/spicy rather hard/tannic
bit hot/volatile finish; needs more age; my favorite of all these wines. $60.00
____________________________________________________________________________________
And the usual BloodyPulpit:
1. I served the Vietti and the Novy blind. But the btls were a dead give-away because of their
shape. So I pulled a switcheroo..put the Novy in the brown/fat Vietti btl and the Vietti in
the tall/classy Novy btl. I was sure they'd use the btl clue and mis-identify the wine.
WrongoDongo....nearly everyone nailed the wines right-on. I preferred the Novy...because it
spoke of Nebbiolo made by a Pinot producer. The Vietti, which most people preferred, spoke
of Piedmontese Nebbiolo w/ a loud & clear voice. It had a laser-sharp purity of Nebb fruit
that I really liked. But the texture & mouthfeel of the Novy carried the day for me of these
two wines.
perfume of lilacs/violets it can have on the nose, with hints of licorice & tar. But, crimeney,
on the palate it can be absolutely brutal w/ the acids and the tannins. I must admit it's a variety
I struggle with. Those from Barolo/Barbaresco in particular. I liken drinking Piedmontese Nebb
to stuffing one nostril w/ violet petals, the other nostril w/ lilac petals, sealing both
nostrils w/ burning/hot road tar; then sticking out your tongue betwixt the jaws of a vise and
torquing that sucker down...some pleasurable things but a hell of a lot of pain.
When I complain about Barolo/Barbaresco; I'm always dismissed as a dolt because everybody
knows that you have to give these wines age in the bottle to soften. What I don't understand
is why they can make long-aging Bordeaux and RedBurgs that are attractive right out of the
gate, but they can't w/ Barolo/Barbaresco. And then I'm ridiculed because I didn't give them
enough breathing time. "Everyone knows that Barolos need a day or two to breathe and soften
up".
To me, Calif oughta be able to capture that exotic perfume of Nebb, but make a wine
that is attractive and not so friggin' painful on the palate. That's what I've liked about some
of the Calif versions I've tried, particularly this Novy. Barolo & Barbaresco it ain't, for which
I'm glad. Wine shouldn't hurt to drink. The Stolpman's that SashiMoorman makes are also quite
good; as are SteveClifton's Palmina Nebbs. Now add AdamLee to the list. Maybe EmilioCastelli
some day.
(forgive me Mrs. Benlon). The Balgeras had lovely old Nebb noses but seemed a bit too tired &
dried out on the palate.
I haven't seen his wines or know if he's even still producing since those yrs long ago.
indicates that to indeed be the case; but there is some wiggle-room that it can be simply a
late harvest Nebbiolo. These Sfursats we had didn't have the hard/harsh character I often get
in Recioto.
I wonder why the recioto/Sfursat technique is not more widely used in Calif. I know Randall
Grahm makes a Recioto of Barbera that's pretty interesting. Calif could, of course, make the
greatest Recioto/Sfursat in the world if they chose to. But they would probably dry the grapes
on plastic trays instead of straw mats, and use forced air/blowers, rather than ambient wnry
conditions, to promote dehydration and, therefore, it would not be authentic Recioto and,
therefore, an inferior wine. And there'd be whining about the terroir thing.

Sforzato di Valtellina is a very special wine obtained uniquely from Nebbiolo grapes that are
left to ripen for a longer period than is required for the production of regular wines. Its
quality depends not so much on technical matters as on climatic conditions and the quality of
the grapes. It therefore embodies the characteristics of this fascinating Alpine territory.

Sforzato or Sfrusat is a dry wine obtained from drying the best Nebbiolo grapes harvested in the
most well exposed vineyard in the regions of Valtellina and Valtellina Superiore. The local name
for Nebbiolo grape is Chiavennasca.
The vines are cultivated by hand as except for a few small gently sloping spaces it is practically
impossible for the use of any kind of mechanization. The grapes are collected manually. It is
hard work to transport the grape collections on the shoulders of the peasants through the paths
of the terraces. One feels a sense of admiration for the hard work of the peasants and their
tenacious will. Getting quality wines, which have been the pride of centuries of Valtellina,
rewards one. The grapes are spread out in mats or in boxes and are left to wither naturally
usually from Harvest time, which is late October until mid January or even early February. This
treatment leads to a high concentration of natural sugars and special aromas. The dehydration of
the grape varies between 30-35% and this produces a great wine, which is a combination of body,
elegance, longetivity and easy digestibility. The vinification process consists of soft pressing
of the grapes and subsequent fermentation. A 2 to 3 year ageing in oak casks & a final 6 to 12
month bottle refinement give this red wine its uniqueness.
Sforzato Della Valtellina is a very special wine obtained uniquely from Nebbiolo grapes that are
left to ripen for a longer period than is required for the production of regular wines. Its
quality depends not so much on technical matters as on climatic conditions and the quality of the
grapes. It is thus an embodiment of the uniqueness of this Alpine territory.
Sforzato Della Valtellina owes its name (sforzato which means withering or strained) to the very
ancient practise of withering Nebbiolo grapes.

The red wines made in this area are produced using Nebbiolo grapes; it is a fine late-maturing
vine that, has created over the centuries a perfect harmony with the soil, leading to unique
wines such as the Valtellina Sforzato or Sfursat, whose name comes from the traditional practice
of drying the grapes, which has been done in the Valtellina since ancient times.
The wine is obtained by hand selecting the best bunches of grapes and then leaving them to dry
on wooden lattices placed inside a dry and well-aired room, the ?Fruttaio?, for at least 110 days
until the end of January.
During this winter period the climate of the Valtellina does the rest of the work and thus
favours the drying and shrinking of the bunches of grapes. At the end of January the grape has
lost about 40% of its weight, the fruit has dried and the concentrated juice has developed
unusual and very dense aromatic properties. After pressing, a slow fermentation period
follows and at least 24 months ageing and refining, first in wood and then in bottles.
Valtellina Sforzato is thus a unique expression of a vine, the Nebbiolo and the area of this
fascinating Alpine valley. Valtellina Superiore is always made using Nebbiolo grapes and is
divided into five sub-denominations: Maroggia, Sassella, Grumello, Inferno and
Valgella that, like Sforzato, are proudly entitled to the DOCG.

Some wines from the Valtellina region are designated Sforzato; a very similar style to Recioto
Amarone, with the powerful wines having been fermented from air-dried grapes.

Valtellina Sforzato (also known as Valtellina Sfurs?t) was classified as DOCG in 2003, this is a
dry red straw wine made from partly raisined grapes in the style of an Amarone. It must be made
of a minimum of 90% Chiavennasca grapes, with the optional addition of a maximum of 10% of other
permitted red varieties. The grapes are picked late, and then dried on wooden racks for up to
three months. The wine is made in February or March, with slow fermentation on the skins in
traditional style. This leads to low levels of acidity, and formation of special aroma compounds,
the wine is ruby red and extremely soft, it must have a minimum alcohol content of 14% vol.,
and must be matured in oak barrels for a minimum of 12 months.

Especially strong and tangy as it ages, Bitto is a great excuse to open a bottle of the area's
most famous wine, Sforzato di Valtellina (also known as Sfursat). Loosely translated as "forced"
in local dialect, Sforzato is made entirely from Nebbiolo that represent the finest grapes from
a grower which are harvested a week or so earlier than the clusters that will make a Valtellina
Superiore. The grapes are laid on a straw mat in a small room (usually in a specially designed,
humidity controlled building called a fruttaio) for three to four months where they will dry.
During this process (known as appassimento), the berries shrivel and their flavor intensifies.
This is the same process used to make Amarone, the famous red wine from the Valpolicella area
of the Veneto region, but while those wines are very forward and slightly alcoholic, most
bottlings of Sforzato are a bit more subdued, though no less flavorful.

Tom

#344468 - 08-07-2008 05:36:57 Re: TN: Valtelline Nebbiolos...(long/boring) [Re: TomHill]
Emilio Castelli Offline

Originally Posted By: TomHill

And the usual BloodyPulpit:
What I really like about Nebbiolo is that etheral perfume of lilacs/violets it can have on the nose, with hints of licorice & tar. But, crimeney, on the palate it can be absolutely brutal w/ the acids and the tannins. ...some pleasurable things but a hell of a lot of pain.

No pain at all for some. I did not read what you ate with your wines but if you drink your nebbiolo with the right food you should not feel any pain, only pleasurable things... However if you are drinking it w/o food then you deserve all the pain you get...

Originally Posted By: TomHill

To me, Calif oughta be able to capture that exotic perfume of Nebb, but make a wine that is attractive and not so friggin' painful on the palate. That's what I've liked about some of the Calif versions I've tried, particularly this Novy. Barolo & Barbaresco it ain't, for which I'm glad. Wine shouldn't hurt to drink. The Stolpman's that SashiMoorman makes are also quite good; as are SteveClifton's Palmina Nebbs. Now add AdamLee to the list. Maybe Emilio Castelli some day.
Tom

Thanks for the compliment but don't hold your breath. I love tannins and I'm not trying to "manage" them into attractiveness... Still, I'd like you to try my nebbiolo with a good risotto before you dismiss it.
Anyway if you don't like it I'll have more "attractive" wines for you.
Looking forward to your visit.
E

#344479 - 08-07-2008 12:37:51 Re: TN: Valtelline Nebbiolos...(long/boring) [Re: Emilio Castelli]
John Tomasso Offline

a kinder, gentler mod
Obsessed

Loc: Buellton, CA
That is an excellent point.
Tom, does your group try the wines with food?

Because we have a little gang o tasters here, and what we do is, first we try all the wines, discuss them, blah blah blah, and then, we re-try them with a bunch of different dishes we've all prepared.
The same wine can show very differently when paired with the right dish.

But, I know that a venerated icon such as you already knows this.

#344773 - 08-14-2008 15:21:04 Re: TN: Valtelline Nebbiolos...(long/boring) [Re: TomHill]
Dave Cuneo Offline
Local

Loc: Delaware
" But they would probably dry the grapes
on plastic trays instead of straw mats, and use forced air/blowers, rather than ambient wnry
conditions, to promote dehydration and, therefore, it would not be authentic Recioto and,
therefore, an inferior wine."

Tom, I sense the sarcasm, and you probably know this already, but when I visited Romano Dal Forno at his brand spankin' new winery in Veneto in 1999, he was doing exactly as you describe. Plastic trays, big moving fans, humidity control... and his Amarone is the world's most expensive (the use of new French oak doesn't hurt his grades with the critics either). dc.

Edited by Dave Cuneo (08-14-2008 15:22:01)

#344800 - 08-15-2008 19:16:50 Yup.... [Re: Dave Cuneo]
TomHill Online   content
Venerated Icon
Elvis Has Entered the Building!

Loc: LosAlamos
Big dose of sarcasm there. I think the use of straw mats to dry the grapes is probably archaic in most regions now.
Tom

Misc. Stuff
Muscadine winegrapes
Muscadine wine collection
2010 Garnet Pinot Noir - Rodgers Creek Vineyard
Promise Wine
Dom Perignon
Chappellet Wine
Lawer Family Three Coins Wine
13 Blackbirds
Old Wine
2009 HdR Last Seminar