1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#352483 - 06-08-2009 17:56:24 Zin: is it alive and well, or on lifesupport?
Eric_Anderson Offline
Obsessed

Loc: Right here
Yeah, it's sort of a troll. I get the feeling Zin sales aren't what they used to be. I know I don't buy Zin any more and wondered who does and why? Oh, and don't give me that "it's great for BBQ" stuff. So are many other wines.

Myself: nothing against it! I like the flavors, but it's usually higher in alc, which just isn't my bag any more. That, and there seem to be a lot more options out there.

#352484 - 06-08-2009 18:00:57 Re: Zin: is it alive and well, or on lifesupport? [Re: Eric_Anderson]
David Nelson Offline
Regular

Loc: St. Louis, Missouri
I still buy Nalle, but that's about it (maybe the odd bottle of Swan on the rare occasions when it shows up at retail). I even gave up Geyserville and Lytton Springs after the '01s.

And the Nalle purchases are a couple of bottles here and there, rather than the larger quantities of the past. I do crave the flavors from time to time and Nalle delivers them without the high alcohol.

Cheers,

Dave

#352486 - 06-08-2009 18:03:10 Re: Zin: is it alive and well, or on lifesupport? [Re: Eric_Anderson]
Bob Foster Offline
Regular

Loc: San Diego
Can't handle the Nalle because of the Brett-which he puts in to add complexity he tells me.

#352490 - 06-08-2009 19:12:18 Re: Zin: is it alive and well, or on lifesupport? [Re: Eric_Anderson]
BEB Online   content
True Southern Exposure
Crazed Wino

Loc: Somewhere in the Great Valley ...
I confess to being a Ridge runner. As a Z list member, I get 2 cases a year. It's the only Zin I currently buy. I may have to look up some Novy after TomHill's note, however.
And I DO drink it with BBQ. I know other wines can pair with BBQ, but I think Zin is best pairing for BBQ. Occasionally, I'll have it with steak or beef roast. Zin is a pretty individualistic varietal; it has a flavor that I sometimes crave.

"I've wrestled with reality for 35 years and I'm happy to state I finally won out over it." Elwood P. Dowd

#352491 - 06-08-2009 19:24:18 Re: Zin: is it alive and well, or on lifesupport? [Re: Eric_Anderson]
Bob Davis Offline
Obsessed

Loc: Steeler Nation
At this point I'd only consider Carlisle or Cedarville. Based on the fact that my cellar is full I've cut waaaay back on both. I'm trying to drink up all the Carlisles through 2005 as I like them younger 1-3 years. Cedarville is a superb QPR made in the spicey, peppery style I like.
I don't even think about Turley and I can get as much as I want from a friend.
BD

#352492 - 06-08-2009 19:56:39 Re: Zin: is it alive and well, or on lifesupport? [Re: Eric_Anderson]
ESK Offline

Loc: NJ
Carlisle is the only list I still buy from and refused to give up despite child #2, and I stay on strictly for the Zins (well, I buy some Syrah too). Zin was my first favorite "serious" red so I will probably never give up on it. But I am getting tired of the high alcohol.

#352493 - 06-08-2009 20:09:59 Re: Zin: is it alive and well, or on lifesupport? [Re: Eric_Anderson]
me Offline

The only zins I've bought consistently these past few years are Ridge. Actually, I don't think I've bought other zins since I moved back stateside!

Unfortunately, I did cancel my ATP membership last month (waah), although I hope to restart it once the economy picks up again.

#352496 - 06-08-2009 20:32:45 Re: Zin: is it alive and well, or on lifesupport? [Re: Eric_Anderson]
MarcStubblefield Offline

Loc: San Diego, CA
I wouldn't say I buy more or less that previously, but Zin has always been a player in my rotation. I prefer to seek out those that are lighter-styled and more elegant, but I'm not above a big and slutty indulgence now and then. Recent purchases have included many from Ridge, Dashe L'Enfant, Rafanelli, and a few from Bella.

With BBQ, for sure, but also with other hearty fare that has a sweeter component (from carmelized onions, a glaze, or whatever). Less geeky wine friends seem to love it cocktail style, as well...

Best,

#352501 - 06-08-2009 21:00:31 BBQ.....As In Bar-B-Que??? [Re: BEB]
TomHill Online   content
Venerated Icon
Elvis Has Entered the Building!

Loc: LosAlamos
Originally Posted By: BEB
I confess to being a Ridge runner. As a Z list member, I get 2 cases a year. It's the only Zin I currently buy. I may have to look up some Novy after TomHill's note, however.
And I DO drink it with BBQ. I know other wines can pair with BBQ, but I think Zin is best pairing for BBQ. Occasionally, I'll have it with steak or beef roast. Zin is a pretty individualistic varietal; it has a flavor that I sometimes crave.

Now, Boyce...you gotta be from KC to know real Q!!! :-)
Tom

#352503 - 06-08-2009 21:38:09 Re: BBQ.....As In Bar-B-Que??? [Re: TomHill]
blil Offline
Crazed Wino

Loc: Paola, KS
I'm quite proud of my cross-cultural upbringing in (among other places) Texas, Georgia and Kansas City. I feel I have a unique appreciation of all of the various styles of BBQ the South and lower Midwest have to offer.

Now if my wife's company would transfer us to Memphis, I could complete my BBQ edu-ma-cay-shun. grin

#352504 - 06-08-2009 21:46:52 Re: Zin: is it alive and well, or on lifesupport? [Re: Eric_Anderson]
blil Offline
Crazed Wino

Loc: Paola, KS
We recently tasted a lot of nice Zinfandels in Paso Robles. We purchased one or more bottles of Zin from the likes of Whalebone, Peachy Canyon (the single vineyard stuff is pretty good), Dunning, Four Vines, Rotta, Pipestone, Robert Hall, etc.

And you shouldn't overlook Zin's role as a component of a lot of ersatz Rhone blends. Lots of folks down there blend it quite successfully with Syrah, Grenache, Mourvedre, etc.

Just curious, but how are you defining "Zin sales?" Something tells me the $10 Zin/Zin blend market is probably booming these days as folks look to drink less expensive wines.

#352505 - 06-08-2009 21:57:19 Re: BBQ.....As In Bar-B-Que??? [Re: TomHill]
BEB Online   content
True Southern Exposure
Crazed Wino

Loc: Somewhere in the Great Valley ...
Originally Posted By: TomHill
Originally Posted By: BEB

Now, Boyce...you gotta be from KC to know real Q!!! :-)

KC? Would that be the same place you learned to bar-b-que foie gras?? wink

"I've wrestled with reality for 35 years and I'm happy to state I finally won out over it." Elwood P. Dowd

#352508 - 06-08-2009 22:11:00 Re: Zin: is it alive and well, or on lifesupport? [Re: Eric_Anderson]
Bruce L. Offline
Obsessed

Eric--I think you sell yourself short. It's not sort of a troll, but a full-blown troll.

But I'll play anyway. I don't buy much Zin these days with a few exceptions. I can't think of the last time I went to ZAP or had someone tell me they went to ZAP.

Does anyone have access to industry sales data showing Zinfandel sales over the past 5-10 years? Esp. by volume?

Bruce

#352513 - 06-08-2009 22:18:12 Moderate Mover [Re: Eric_Anderson]
Marc Hanes Offline
Crazed Wino

Loc: Maplewood, NJ
Two ways of looking at it.

A. Anecdotally looking at what sells for me, nothing over $20 and I truly mean close to nothing. We stock more than a few, basically doorstops at this juncture.

B. Personally, close to (a) in that, really, my limit is $30 (note: the argument of what the ceiling price for any specific grape has been argued many times before, ain't gonna go there). The sole exception may be that, for reasons I can't even name, I remain on the Turley mailing list and buy six bottles in the spring, six in the fall, about 1/3 of my total allocation (don't share, don't flip, don't ask).

With the economy being what it is, being my reduced hours at work being what they are, the $30 easily becomes $20. There's barely more than a few Zins at $30 available to me (underscore available) which intrigue, nevermind $20. So, I don't buy much at all. The days of piling up on Ravenswood, Ridge, Biale, Green & Red, Howell Mountain, Neyers, Outpost, Brogan, et. al. are like way over.

Every once in awhile I'll take a gamble on something just for grits and shins. High alc is not necessarily the issue, QPR is, esp. with, as you note, evolving palates and such.

Going back to (a) Joel Gott and Seghesio still sell very well in my market, the latter mostly due to WS scores (talking Sonoma bottling).

#352517 - 06-08-2009 23:08:23 Only Coffaro for me... [Re: Eric_Anderson]
Everett Bandman Offline
Local

I like Dry Creek Zin on occassion, and Dave's is my favorite style, ready to drink a month after bottling if not before, and its cheap enough at the $13 futures price.

#352520 - 06-09-2009 00:14:39 Re: Zin: is it alive and well, or on lifesupport? [Re: Eric_Anderson]
Bob Davis Offline
Obsessed

Loc: Steeler Nation
As an aside, BOURBON STEAK at the Four Seasons Hotel Washington, DC is holding a Biale wine dinner. For the sum of $200 you get to try 5 wines. And one of those is a white. I love Biale wines but the the price they for for here, I don't even think about it anymore.
BD

#352527 - 06-09-2009 01:18:54 Re: Zin: is it alive and well, or on lifesupport? [Re: blil]
Eric_Anderson Offline
Obsessed

Originally Posted By: blil
...Just curious, but how are you defining "Zin sales?" Something tells me the $10 Zin/Zin blend market is probably booming these days as folks look to drink less expensive wines.

Well, it's sort of based on observation of what seems to be a diminishing shelf space, along with wine dinners don't seem to feature it any more, whereas we used to visit Zin 2-3 times/yr.

#352528 - 06-09-2009 01:22:31 Re: Zin: is it alive and well, or on lifesupport? [Re: Bruce L.]
Eric_Anderson Offline
Obsessed

Originally Posted By: Bruce L.
Eric--I think you sell yourself short. It's not sort of a troll, but a full-blown troll.

But I'll play anyway. I don't buy much Zin these days with a few exceptions. I can't think of the last time I went to ZAP or had someone tell me they went to ZAP.

Does anyone have access to industry sales data showing Zinfandel sales over the past 5-10 years? Esp. by volume?

Bruce

blush See, subtlety's my downfall. wink

Stats would be good to confirm my suspicions. Lemme get back to you.

#352532 - 06-09-2009 02:01:30 Re: Zin: is it alive and well, or on lifesupport? [Re: Eric_Anderson]
Brad Ballinger Offline
Obsessed

Loc: St. Paul, MN
The newest vintage of zinfandel in my cellar is a Ridge Geyserville 1995. But I know I've bought more recent vintages and already consumed them. Even so, it's been quite some time (maybe a couple of years). I think my last zin purchase was at a restaurant (can't remember what I ordered).

Even though zinfadnel has come down in price (a bit), it's still hard for me to pay more for a zinfandel than I can for a nice Cotes-du-Rhone that fulfills generally the same purpose with less alcohol, and more complexity.

#352535 - 06-09-2009 02:19:06 Re: Zin: is it alive and well, or on lifesupport? [Re: Eric_Anderson]
Alan Rath Offline
Obsessed

Loc: Fremont, Ca
Good troll. Honestly, I buy very little (make that almost no) Zin any more. Carlisle (and Mike's 07s are absolutely fantastic). That's all I can think of. I taste the big 3 Ridge Zins every year, been pretty disappointed with them over the past few vintages. Seghesio is a go-to wine, but their pricing has gone up quite a bit (the San Lorenzo which I used to buy now clocks in at over $40!). I have plenty of David Coffaro around to slake my thirst when necessary.

Essentially, the function of Zin in my wine drinking has pretty much been replaced by affordable Rhone wines in the $10-20 range. I can't think of any Zin that beats the complexity and drinking enjoyment of a good Cotes du Rhone or Croze Hermitage, particularly the past several vintages.

#352538 - 06-09-2009 02:23:44 Re: Zin: is it alive and well, or on lifesupport? [Re: Eric_Anderson]
Kurt W. Offline
Obsessed

There is something about pizza and zinfandel that is an ultimate match for me. Hey, there's a reason the Italian immigrants brought it over! The other reason I like zinfandel is that it is one of the few wines I enjoy drinking without food, say if I get home later at night and want a glass.

#352539 - 06-09-2009 02:25:43 Re: Zin: is it alive and well, or on lifesupport? [Re: Eric_Anderson]
John Tomasso Offline

a kinder, gentler mod
Obsessed

Loc: Buellton, CA
I don't cellar it. I do buy it from time to time, usually spontaneous purchases, to be consumed within a day or two.

I still enjoy Dashe's bottlings, so when I run across them, I'll pick one or two up.

Also, I'm a sucker for well worded wine newsletters, so if a description catches my fancy, I'll take a chance on a bottle or two. Again, those are always consumed right away.

My wife likes them, so I was thinking about signing her up on one of the Ridge lists, as an anniversary present. Am I the best husband ever, or what?

#352542 - 06-09-2009 02:49:40 Re: Zin: is it alive and well, or on lifesupport? [Re: Eric_Anderson]
Sean_Devaney Offline

Loc: Silicon Valley
I still drink and love Zin-my favorite variety followed by Pinot then Cali rhones. I have stopped buying (for the most part) Zins over $30 but there are so many ones that strike my fancy that on any trip to the wine countries of Northern CA 1/2 my purchases seem to be Zins.

I would be interested to see see what % of tasting room sales are for Zin in Sonoma, Napa, Mendocino, Paso Robles and the Sierra Foothills. My guess is that there a lot of Zin being sold out there and that alot of it is consumed within a year of purchase.

Edited by Sean_Devaney (06-09-2009 02:51:38)
Edit Reason: I saw a spellin error-probobly more that I didn't catch

#352547 - 06-09-2009 04:18:15 Re: Moderate Mover [Re: Marc Hanes]
Eric_Anderson Offline
Obsessed

Originally Posted By: Marc Hanes
Two ways of looking at it.

A. Anecdotally looking at what sells for me, nothing over $20 and I truly mean close to nothing. We stock more than a few, basically doorstops at this juncture.

B. Personally, close to (a) in that, really, my limit is $30 (note: the argument of what the ceiling price for any specific grape has been argued many times before, ain't gonna go there). The sole exception may be that, for reasons I can't even name, I remain on the Turley mailing list and buy six bottles in the spring, six in the fall, about 1/3 of my total allocation (don't share, don't flip, don't ask).

With the economy being what it is, being my reduced hours at work being what they are, the $30 easily becomes $20. There's barely more than a few Zins at $30 available to me (underscore available) which intrigue, nevermind $20. So, I don't buy much at all. The days of piling up on Ravenswood, Ridge, Biale, Green & Red, Howell Mountain, Neyers, Outpost, Brogan, et. al. are like way over.

Every once in awhile I'll take a gamble on something just for grits and shins. High alc is not necessarily the issue, QPR is, esp. with, as you note, evolving palates and such.

Going back to (a) Joel Gott and Seghesio still sell very well in my market, the latter mostly due to WS scores (talking Sonoma bottling).

Yeah, Seghesio was always a go-to Zin.

#352580 - 06-09-2009 19:44:44 Re: Moderate Mover [Re: Eric_Anderson]
CMH Offline

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ
Anyone tried Elyse's Zin/Primitivo blend "Couzins"? Pretty tasty.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Misc. Stuff
Muscadine winegrapes
Muscadine wine collection
2010 Garnet Pinot Noir - Rodgers Creek Vineyard
Promise Wine
Dom Perignon
Chappellet Wine
Lawer Family Three Coins Wine
13 Blackbirds
Old Wine
2009 HdR Last Seminar