Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#362231 - 06-22-2010 23:23:15 Wines that are open for a few days?
Brad Harrington Offline

Owner
Elvis Has Entered the Building!

Loc: La Jolla, San Diego, CA
Does anyone here really believe that opening wines for days in advance can typically result in great drinking wine on 3rd or 4th day???

I open wines for 2 to maybe 3 days on occasion but usually find them oxidizing by day 3 to the point that they are not as enjoyable.

Every once in awhile I am surprised. I recently had a 2003 Beckmen Block 6 that I actually liked better on day 3, but only because the fruit had receded and there was a ton of dark herbal character that came to the front. It had oxidized a little but that aspect was minor and tolerable.

I hear people talk about opening wines for days at a time but for the most part, this is something I try to avoid. Second day, I typically like, past that is a crap shoot with more losers than winners.

What do you think?

#362232 - 06-22-2010 23:48:34 Re: Wines that are open for a few days? [Re: Brad Harrington]
Randyhol Offline

Loc: Ventura County, CA
I've never opened anything day or days before I plan to drink it. Heck, I hardly ever decant. Almost everything at our table is pop and pour.

But, we never finish a full bottle at a meal. So, back goes the cork with half the contents. Whites go into the fridge, reds generally back to the kitchen counter (or fridge if we're having hot weather). FYI, a discussion thread here from a while back convinced me to stop using vacuum pumps and gas preservatives. Haven't missed either for some time now.

I have had several such 1/2 consumed bottles we've let sit for 2-3 days, and have never been disappointed with the result. I don't make it a habit to push things out that far, more often a bottle is consumed in full over 2 consecutive days.

But, if one is to sit for 2-3 days, I don't stress, and I don't find any major deterioration. Once in a while it is clear the wine has lost it zing, but that seems to be an exception.

#362233 - 06-23-2010 02:05:59 Re: Wines that are open for a few days? [Re: Brad Harrington]
Bob Davis Offline
Obsessed

Loc: Steeler Nation
Since I acquired a wine fridge I have been putting open bottles in and had them last 3-4 days with no problems. It keeps its temp between 45-50 degrees. I had never tried refrigerating open reds before and it works much better than the argon gas you get in a can.
BD

#362234 - 06-23-2010 05:20:32 Re: Wines that are open for a few days? [Re: Brad Harrington]
blil Offline
Crazed Wino

Loc: Paola, KS
I rarely even like wine on day 2. I can't imagine enjoying a wine on day 3. And I would never even consider one of these "extended decanting" sessions where the wine sits in a decanter for a day or two before it is served. (((shudder)))

I really don't appreciate even the slightest hint of oxidation in a wine. I'd rather fight through tough tannins (or just tame them with a big steak) than deal with any oxidized flavors.

#362236 - 06-23-2010 12:57:53 Re: Wines that are open for a few days? [Re: Brad Harrington]
JFO Offline

Loc: America - Free and Proud!
I think it's a total crap shoot. I've had $8 wines that lasted way longer than 2 or 4 days, and more expensive wines that were bad on day 2.

I will say that I think older wines never last like that. In my experience, it's always been a younger wine.

When I was in CA in 2008, Arrowood was pouring their Monte Rosso Cabernet from a bottle that had been opened a week before. It was delicious. I've also seen where Giacosa tastes people on his Barolo when it's been open for weeks.

I once had a bottle of Rosemount Diamond Shiraz that I forgot about on the kitchen counter for a week. Before I poured it down the drain I figured I'd taste it. It was awesome. I was shocked.

So i've not noticed any pattern at all other than the young v. old scenario.

J

http://www.tuscanvines.blogspot.com/ Twitter: @TuscanVines

#362238 - 06-23-2010 13:21:02 Yup... [Re: JFO]
TomHill Online   content
Venerated Icon

Loc: LosAlamos
Originally Posted By: JFO
I think it's a total crap shoot. I've had $8 wines that lasted way longer than 2 or 4 days, and more expensive wines that were bad on day 2.

I will say that I think older wines never last like that. In my experience, it's always been a younger wine.
When I was in CA in 2008, Arrowood was pouring their Monte Rosso Cabernet from a bottle that had been opened a week before. It was delicious. I've also seen where Giacosa tastes people on his Barolo when it's been open for weeks.
I once had a bottle of Rosemount Diamond Shiraz that I forgot about on the kitchen counter for a week. Before I poured it down the drain I figured I'd taste it. It was awesome. I was shocked.
J

I'm with the FoMan here. Sorta a crap shoot. Kinda like the single women here in LosAlamos say about the singles scene: "The odds are good...but the goods are odd".
I just stick a cork back in and leave it on the counter. I seldom see a wine that dramatically/noticibly improves sitting out. But I seldom see them crash and burn, either. Never any signs of oxidation, never turn to vinegear (unless it's a Coturri...then it's already there). They just seem to mostly lose aromatics and, in the case of reds, seem more tannic/astringent. Of course, for older wines (> 5 yrs or so), that decline is more rapid.
Tom

#362239 - 06-23-2010 13:28:45 Re: Yup... [Re: TomHill]
BEB Online   content
True Southern Exposure
Crazed Wino

Loc: Somewhere in the Great Valley ...
Originally Posted By: TomHill
Originally Posted By: JFO

J

I'm with the FoMan here...

+2; it's a complete crap shoot. I have only rarely opened a bottle intending to leave it more than the next day, but occasionally leftovers do sit around. Results very similar to JFO and TomHill

"I've wrestled with reality for 35 years and I'm happy to state I finally won out over it." Elwood P. Dowd

Misc. Stuff
Muscadine winegrapes
Muscadine wine collection
2010 Garnet Pinot Noir - Rodgers Creek Vineyard
Promise Wine
Dom Perignon
Chappellet Wine
Lawer Family Three Coins Wine
13 Blackbirds
Old Wine
2009 HdR Last Seminar
Newest Members