17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#386877 - 01-11-2017 18:11:54 Down Goes Michigan
Marc Hanes Offline
Crazed Wino

Loc: Maplewood, NJ
Curious how there's a lack of energy around another state closing up to out of state retailer shipping, more specifically Michigan. Boring thread on it on Berserkers, Wark not able to muster much enthusiasm for The Good Fight. I see more dominoes falling and more states getting tough on alcohol shipping. I can afford to be nonchalant since most of the wine I want I can get in NYC or New Jersey -- and probably more so if the retailers there can't ship, less competition for small production wines.

What was really interesting to me was that this bill was sponsored by a state senator named Peter MacGregor. A quick Google search shows that his third largest campaign contributor was the “Michigan Beer & Wine Wholesalers Association PAC” who has donated $16,165 to his campaigns since 2011. http://www.mcfn.org/index.php/donor-tracking?candidate=44

That's *not* a lot of money! Hell, Wine Searcher should have tripled that to MacGregor and told him to fight anyone trying to pass a no-shipping bill and W-S would still come out ahead financially.

Crazy times, end of times. Can't ship to Illinois, now can't to Michigan. Lots of retailers out there built business models on e-commerce, not going to bode well going forward.

#386882 - 01-12-2017 12:54:40 Re: Down Goes Michigan [Re: Marc Hanes]
Bob Davis Offline
Obsessed

Loc: Steeler Nation
I saw that too. It's hard to get too excited about retailer shipping. Between Maryland and DC and can pretty much anything I want. Besides I've gotten out of the idea of "must have" wines. We've settled into a comfortable niche for the moment.

I would get involved again if they started shutting down wineries again.

#386883 - 01-12-2017 16:02:19 Re: Down Goes Michigan [Re: Marc Hanes]
R. Schiffman Offline
Chief bottle washer
Obsessed

Loc: Orem, UT
We're still #1! Nobody can outdo us on regressive shipping laws and the draconian consequences if you do!

We continue down the road of trying to move back in time to the "good old days" that weren't.

I do agree I'm getting to the point where I think seriously about shutting down my out of State mailing address where I get things shipped. Since I still enjoy the outings to go pick things up, I'm OK with it. Where there's a will, there's a way.

OTOH, we're getting a better set of choices here. I can now easily get Siduri, and Radio-Coteau, for example. Those are both one's I've had to get shipped in the past. I've often had CA friends take a case of wine home because locals don't really appreciate some of the small brands and leave them available for us.

#386886 - 01-14-2017 11:21:03 Re: Down Goes Michigan [Re: Bob Davis]
BEB Online   content
True Southern Exposure
Crazed Wino

Loc: Somewhere in the Great Valley ...
Originally Posted By: Bob Davis
I saw that too. It's hard to get too excited about retailer shipping. Between Maryland and DC and can pretty much anything I want....

Yet, try getting Calvert-Woodley to ship to Virginia! They insist that they can't. I haven't pushed so I don't know if it is b/c they haven't/won't pay the licensing fee or b/c the wines are "available" (for 1.5x the price) here in Va. But the silver lining is that I take in a wonderful lunch on my annual trek to DC for a wine purchase.

But to Marc's larger issue, I do see a trend toward a hardening by states on what can and can't be shipped, who can ship and the penalties they want to impose, .... and it doesn't bode well for consumers.

"I've wrestled with reality for 35 years and I'm happy to state I finally won out over it." Elwood P. Dowd

Misc. Stuff
Muscadine winegrapes
Muscadine wine collection
2010 Garnet Pinot Noir - Rodgers Creek Vineyard
Promise Wine
Dom Perignon
Chappellet Wine
Lawer Family Three Coins Wine
13 Blackbirds
Old Wine
2009 HdR Last Seminar
Newest Members