We tasted tonight (3/29/17) Some New Whites:
1. BarthRene GWT AC: Alsace (13.5%) Vigneron Michel Fonne/Bennwihr 2014: Med.gold color; fairly strong GWT/lychee/slight
hair oil rather stony/mineral/chalky quite spicy nose; bit tart dry subtle GWT/lychee tangy bit stony/mineral flavor;
very long low-key lychee/GWT/spicy slight tart dry some mineral/chalky finish; a rather subtle/low-key GWT that doesn't
have that in-your-face/hair oil GWT; quite an attractive subtle/quiet expression of GWT at a good price. $22.50 (WM)
GWT/in-your-face character but very tiring to drink because of low acid & high sugar; dull as dishwater. $18.00 (WE)
complex flavor; very long/lingering mineral/chalky/perfumed talc some subtle lychee/GWT/very spicy finish; quite
a lovely/interesting example of AA/Trentino GWT. $30.00 (WE)
bit botrytis rich/off-dry finish w/ some bitterness; loads of gout de petrol and on the overripe side; a pretty
bizarre expression of R; not a bad or flawed R but just strange. $30.00 (WE)
bit metallic very interesting/complex nose; bit soft very strong TF/floral/spicy/pear quite dry rather rich/lush
slight tangy/metallic complex flavor; very long strong floral/TF/spicy/spiced pears slight floral/R/pineapple
very complex finish; quite an interesting ripe very perfumed TF if on the atypical side. $30.00 (WE)
wells up from the ashes; on the vapid sight and not a lot of flavor; strange wine but speaks of CB quietly.
$14.00 (WH)
bit stony nose; lightly tart some earthy/dusty bit melony/pear/apple/PB rather tangy/metallic fairly attractive PB
flavor; long PB/pear/apple some earthy/dusty lightly tart/tangy finish; a bit on the neutral side but quite a
pleasant PB; resembles a bit Alsatian PB but w/ more richness & texture. $24.75 (WM)
cat is indeed dead. $32.00 (WH)
varietal GV quite attractive at a very good price. $24.50 (WM)
peach rather mineral/stony quite complex balanced flavor; very long/lingering very spicy/GV/white pepper/floral
elegant/complex some stony/chalky/mineral quite complex finish; a stunning complex GS. $42.50 (WM)
very long perfumed talc/floral/spicy/nutmeg bit tart some angel food cake finish; a lovely Timorasso in a rather
quiet/understated way. $32.00 (WE)
floral/Muscat-like/peach blossom soft slight metallic/tangy finish; quite a lovely perfumed white; best white
from Abruzzo I've ever had at a great price. $22.00 (WE)
______________________________________________________________________________________________________
More fake news from TheBloodyPulpit:
1. GWT: This was my first experience w/ the Barth Rene wines from Emily's WineMonger (www.WineMonger.com). I was
quite impressed...it had minerality and acid..something that's harder & harder to find in GWT from Alsace as
so many producers have segued into the Z-H style of GWT...low acid & some RS. Just don't work with a plate
of weenies & kraut.
I also like the Donati GWT quite a bit as well. Anymore, when I want old-timey GWT like used to be common
in Alsace, I turn to Sudtirol or Trentino.
3. GroundEffect: My first experience w/ this winery. WebSite: (www.groundeffectwine.com). The wnry is located in
Solvang. The GroundEffect refers to the effect the ground (that terroir thing that people babble on about) on
the wine. The label is rather sparse, not even listing an alcohol content.
understand. GS refers to a field-blend of whites, often from an old vnyd planted to a field blend. I'm assuming
the GV/GS label is meant to imply the blend is predominately GV.
When we were in Burgenland last Fall, we drove thru StMargarethen and managed to catch Hannes there at the
wnry. I gifted him a btl of the Forlorn-Hope StLaurent, but have not heard back from him on his reaction.
The area around StMargarethen is quite beautiful, gentle rolling hills. The old Roman marble quaries just
East of the village are worth exploring. They do a PassionPLay performance in one of the old Roman quaries
every year. I can hardly wait to return to the area next Spring.
Though didn't think up to the level of the Massa versions.
The good news is that Timorasso is now going thru quarantine at FPS and should be available for planting
next yr. SteveClifton/Palmina and Sam Bilbro/Idlewild are working together on a project w/ Timorasso. Once
other producers see the wonderful Timorasso these two make, there will be a planting frenzy all up&down the
coast in Calif as other producers jump on this bandwagon. Harvest at 26 Brix, barrel ferment in new Fr.oak,
full M-L, slight RS, barrel age for 2 yrs in new oak; Timorasso will become the next big thing in Calif.
And I'll be founding TEB (Timorasso Enthusiasts & Belivers). It boggles the mind.