Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#387183 - 04-12-2017 07:25:01 WE: MattKettmann on EdnaVlly.....
TomHill Online   content
Venerated Icon
Elvis Has Entered the Building!

Loc: LosAlamos
A very well-done article by MattKettmann (who I'm beginning to really like his writing, despite my disdain for TheWineEnthusiast...probably because of the SteveHeimhoff connection) on the EdnaValley:
WE:EdnaVlly

He pretty much covers all the movers&shakers there, probably there aren't that many m&s there. I've always wondered why the EdnaVlly remains such an under-appreciated vinous backwash, because there are some terrific wines that come from there.

I learn that Wolff grows Teroldego. Gotta get me some of that.
I learn that Sawyer-LindquistVnyd is now known as SlideHillVnyd.

Trivia Question: Who was the winemaker who came to CorbettCanyon and drove it to success?? Hints: Came down from the ShenandoahVlly and then eventually went to Sterling. GiveawayHint: His son now makes wines that are ubiquitous around the Nation and very fairly priced. BonusPoints: Sing for us the entire song that CorbettCanyon used in their ads. SuperBonusPoints: If you can sing that ditty and not have "Canyon...Canyon...Canyon" resonating in your brain for the next hour.

Anyway....a very good read. Highlighted in today's Terroirist, of course.

Tom

#387185 - 04-13-2017 08:17:57 Re: WE: MattKettmann on EdnaVlly..... [Re: TomHill]
James Cross Offline
Regular

Loc: Vega$
Tom: Totally agree that Edna Valley is an under appreciated area. There are many good wineries and touring the area is extremely easy. I've been asked to give a talk on EV at an upcoming American Wine Society meeting. Their members are in love with Paso and head down to Los Olivos but are clueless about Edna V.

I should know the Corbett question, but am drawing a blank. Back in the day, they used to make decent wines, but then went the supermarket route to the extreme. They took the sign down at the winery but you could still read it with the faded paint. Finally they put a sign out front saying roughly "no tasting, not open, get lost."

Now the facility is a coop for young winemakers in the area and some are pretty good, like Drake Cellars. He has a tasting room in downtown S Barbara. Another winey that has gotten some good press is Center of Effort. What an odd name for a winery.

Wolff is a big $ operation. It was purchased from Mr. McGregor, whose daughter Kathy also had a winery in SLO. Mt. Eden used to buy the fruit (not sure if they still do) for their entry level chard, which was decent.

#387186 - 04-13-2017 16:32:40 The Answer.. [Re: James Cross]
TomHill Online   content
Venerated Icon
Elvis Has Entered the Building!

Loc: LosAlamos
Originally Posted By: James Cross
Tom: Totally agree that Edna Valley is an under appreciated area. There are many good wineries and touring the area is extremely easy. I've been asked to give a talk on EV at an upcoming American Wine Society meeting. Their members are in love with Paso and head down to Los Olivos but are clueless about Edna V.

I should know the Corbett question, but am drawing a blank. Back in the day, they used to make decent wines, but then went the supermarket route to the extreme. They took the sign down at the winery but you could still read it with the faded paint. Finally they put a sign out front saying roughly "no tasting, not open, get lost."

Now the facility is a coop for young winemakers in the area and some are pretty good, like Drake Cellars. He has a tasting room in downtown S Barbara. Another winey that has gotten some good press is Center of Effort. What an odd name for a winery.

Wolff is a big $ operation. It was purchased from Mr. McGregor, whose daughter Kathy also had a winery in SLO. Mt. Eden used to buy the fruit (not sure if they still do) for their entry level chard, which was decent.

Jim,
It was Cary Gott. Son is Joel Gott. Cary was winemaker until they started to go big, then he bailed out & went to Sterling, which was a CocaCola property then. Don't know if CorbetCanyon was CocoCola or not. Cary was originally at Montevina in Amador.
Hope you can hook up w/ Steve. I think you'll like him.
Tom

Misc. Stuff
Muscadine winegrapes
Muscadine wine collection
2010 Garnet Pinot Noir - Rodgers Creek Vineyard
Promise Wine
Dom Perignon
Chappellet Wine
Lawer Family Three Coins Wine
13 Blackbirds
Old Wine
2009 HdR Last Seminar