Tasting at Saddleback w/ Lars (6/27/18)
When I arrived in the NapaVlly from Healdsburg, I made a bee-line to Saddleback Cllrs to taste w/
Asst winemaker Lars Bjorkman (sorry...no detailed notes):
1. Vermentino '16: Grown on FrankMahoney's estate (but not at LasBrisas); very perfumey/fragrant classic Vermentino;
resembles some the Ryme "Hers" but a bit more structured and not quite as rich; a lovely Vermentino.
5. Freisa Rose '17: Wow...very perfumey/fragrant bright/floral/strawberry Freisa nose; lightly tart/brist very strong
strawberry/Freisa/alpine strawberry/spicy flavor; a terrific expression of Freisa.
intense grapey/chocolaty/licorice soft/ripe/lush complex finish w/ some ripe tannins; lots of ripeness but not
stray into overripe/late harvesty/pruney territory; no Trousseau character that I can pick up; carries the high
alcohol very well and not at all portish; very much resembles a good Banyuls; probably not an ager and will become
more raisened/prunish w/ age.
Zins. But Saddleback is much more than Cab & Chard. They make a pretty broad range of very interesting wines.
Most of them are for their wine club members. Lars has a good connection w/ Matt Gallo over in the RRV and has
access to a lot of interesting Italian varieties.
3. Nebbiolo: As I was out here for NEB#8 (Lars came to our NEB#7 the yr before), he was eager to show me his Nebb.
I was rather impressed w/ it for hs first stab at Nebb. It ranked right up there w/ any of the Nebbs we tasted at
NEB#8. Alas, there is only a small barrique & a carboy of it...only 33 cs worth...too small a release for the
Saddleback WineClub program. He may purchase it & put it up under his Grow label.
5. I was pretty impressed w/ what Lars is doing w/ the Italian varieties. Oftentimes, when a Cabernet producer
ventures afar into Italian (or Spanish or Rhone) varieties, I'll think "Yup...this tastes like an XX made by a
Cabernet producer". Not so in this case. I thought the oak levels were pretty modest (at least in this point
of their life) and all the wines were varietally correct. Too bad they aren't made in larger quantities.
Tom