Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#389372 - 10-29-2018 20:59:17 Wine impression 10-29-18
Florida Jim Offline
Crazed Wino

Loc: Banner Elk, NC and St. Pete., ...
Wine impressions - 10-29-18

Whites:
2012 Cowan Cellars, Isa - 100% skin fermented Sauvignon Blanc, dark brass color; reminds me of a low alcohol (12%) amaro with fresh and dried herbs in an infusion of citrus peels and slightly sweet Earl Gray tea. Grippy but not drying, with good length. And despite its color, not even a hint of oxidation. Needs decanter time.
This spent almost two years in old barrels and was disjointed and unpleasant when bottled. But several years ago Steve Edmunds gave me a great piece of advice; “you can always dump it but why not wait and see what happens.” What has happened four years later is a unique and captivating beverage that some might call wine and some might not. Whatever, this works for me. Forty cases; not yet released.
2005 Keller, Riesling Trocken S - a wonderful showing; dry but always with a reference toward sweet fruit this takes me on a hike thru rocky vineyards, beautiful vistas and juicy deliciousness. Terrific wine!
2017 Cowan Cellars, Ribolla Gialla - needs time to open - once it does it becomes more of Friuli than CA and almost salty. I like it and think it will make old bones. This grape continues to fascinate.
2002 Cazin, Cour Cheverny Cuvée Renaissance - Romorantin vinted with some RS; bought on release and, now at 16, I’m not sure I’d bother again. The sweetness has dissipated since release, ripe apple and kiwi fruit, plenty of cut, a nice stony background but there is little development or complexity. Aside from being dryer, there is not much difference from what it was on release. Interesting but not fascinating.
More integrated and of a piece on day two but no more complexity showing.

Reds:
2015 Ladd Cellars, Primitivo Musick - 13.5 abv (which is certainly unusual), little here says Zin except flavor - a pretty, lifted, fruit-filled palate with plenty of cut. Atypical to CA Zin but a wonderful food wine - none of the huge alcohol, cloying fruit-syrup Zin that I am used to - Mike Dashe would be proud.
Even more complete on day 2; this may age well.
2015 Dirty & Rowdy, Mourvèdre Antle Vineyard - I know I am early to this but it tastes so good I really don’t care (and I saved some for tomorrow). Everything is in place for the long haul but there is some youthful (maybe semi-carbonic) fruit showing at this stage. A lithe, graceful wine that is the essence of the grape. Yum.
More complete on day two and hasn’t lost a step.
2000 Gallet, Cote Rotie - a bit disjointed at first but with decanter time, this is all it should be - old school Northern Rhône made with great care and a deft touch. Perfect with roast chicken and root veggies.
2015 Black Trumpet, Syrah - Heintz Vineyard, Sonoma Coast Syrah that is indicative of its place, well balanced, becoming more focused over time and nicely complex. A small label doing good work. Lots of years in this wine but went well with duck sausage and onion jam tonight.
2007 Lagier Meredith, Syrah - a bit closed but still a typical LM nose and palate with just a bit of complexity starting to peak through.
2007 Hundred Acre, Cabernet Sauvignon Ark Vineyard - concentrated, simple but pure CS with “lavish” oak and big alcohol. There is nothing here for me - it could be from anywhere, there’s no complexity and the oak is obtrusive. $500 these days - “so I’ve got this bridge in Brooklyn for sale . . .”
2016 Bedrock, Zinfandel Monte Rosso Vineyard - the only bottle of Zin in my cellar and now, I wish I had more. Balanced, mountain Zin with character and restraint and something more - Morgan hit a home run here and I caught the ball. Yum!
2009 Auteur, Pinot Noir Manchester Ridge - while the nose is decent the palate seems to be flawed - I don’t think it actually is flawed, but it gives that impression - too much oak, weird, disjointed and oddly shaped fruit; a wine that is lost from its place. Not a pleasant experience.
2009 Rhys, Pinot Noir Family Farm - lifted nose with the whole cluster clearly in charge; that said, it is attractive in a savory way. Somewhat thin in the mouth but the savory elements keep it interesting. I really think this needs more time in bottle but, at nine years, I can see those who think I’m being a bit too kind saying so. Whatever, it is so much better than the preceding wine that I may be thrown by the comparison.
2015 Cusumano, Nero D’Avola - young, varietally accurate, straightforward, lightly rustic and no wood showing. Benefits from decanter time and costs about $9. Why not?
Relaxes on day two and fans out over the palate to overachieve well beyond its price point - a no brainer!
2015 Piedrassasi, Red Wine Harrison Clarke Vnyd. - from Ballard Canyon, half Mourvèdre and half Syrah; a fine grained, soulful blend that is pure and complex even now. With aging, this should develop nicely into a more polished version of something Bandol-esque.

Best, Jim

#389376 - 10-30-2018 17:03:42 Re: Wine impression 10-29-18 [Re: Florida Jim]
Marc Hanes Offline
Crazed Wino

Loc: Maplewood, NJ
Interesting on the 2007 Lagier-Meredith. In the cellar I have every vintage except one (2013) plus this year's 2016 release. Was thinking it would be fun to do a mega-vertical. Not sure who I could get interested in the New Jerseyish area. Would be happy to provide the wines.

Carole said she and Steve don't really travel anymore. But not sure how many folks besides them could do a 1998-2016 vertical tasting. Alan Rath?

#389381 - 10-31-2018 06:26:16 Re: Wine impression 10-29-18 [Re: Marc Hanes]
BEB Online   content
True Southern Exposure
Crazed Wino

Loc: Somewhere in the Great Valley ...
Originally Posted By: Marc Hanes
Interesting on the 2007 Lagier-Meredith. In the cellar I have every vintage except one (2013) plus this year's 2016 release. Was thinking it would be fun to do a mega-vertical. Not sure who I could get interested in the New Jerseyish area. Would be happy to provide the wines.

Carole said she and Steve don't really travel anymore. But not sure how many folks besides them could do a 1998-2016 vertical tasting. Alan Rath?

If not Alan, then Bruce L. might.

My vertical doesn't extend as far back as yours, but I would be happy to contribute what I can. I suspect my vertical begins only around '06.

"I've wrestled with reality for 35 years and I'm happy to state I finally won out over it." Elwood P. Dowd

#389383 - 10-31-2018 06:29:13 Re: Bedrock, Zinfandel [Re: Florida Jim]
BEB Online   content
True Southern Exposure
Crazed Wino

Quote:
2016 Bedrock, Zinfandel Monte Rosso Vineyard - the only bottle of Zin in my cellar and now, I wish I had more. Balanced, mountain Zin with character and restraint and something more - Morgan hit a home run here and I caught the ball. Yum!

I too enjoy Bedrock Zin (when I can find it). Sorta surprised you aren't a Ridge fan too, Jim. Thankfully, Ridge stopped experimenting with the jammy side of Zin years ago. The Pagani and Paso bottlings consistently impress.

"I've wrestled with reality for 35 years and I'm happy to state I finally won out over it." Elwood P. Dowd

#389385 - 10-31-2018 09:41:57 Re: Wine impression 10-29-18 [Re: Marc Hanes]
jimmie wellman Online   content
Obsessed

Loc: Sunnyslope Ranch, WA
Originally Posted By: Marc Hanes
But not sure how many folks besides them could do a 1998-2016 vertical tasting. Alan Rath?

We could, although I think we're down to only one '98. Alan probably has some of the earlier ones too, before they were "officially" LM.

#389387 - 10-31-2018 11:40:14 Re: Bedrock, Zinfandel [Re: BEB]
Florida Jim Offline
Crazed Wino

Loc: Banner Elk, NC and St. Pete., ...
Originally Posted By: BEB
Quote:

I too enjoy Bedrock Zin (when I can find it). Sorta surprised you aren't a Ridge fan too, Jim. Thankfully, Ridge stopped experimenting with the jammy side of Zin years ago. The Pagani and Paso bottlings consistently impress.

Ridge has too much oak for me and, while I have not had the vineyard designates you mention recently, a 2014 Lytton Springs this year was as bad a wine as I’ve ever had from them.
Used to love them but no more . . .
Best, Jim

#389388 - 10-31-2018 20:17:56 Re: Wine impression 10-29-18 [Re: jimmie wellman]
Marc Hanes Offline
Crazed Wino

Loc: Maplewood, NJ
Good to know someone else has this going! I actually just today ordered a 2013 from them with my current release order so the vertical should be intact. It seems to me that a 19 year vertical should either be a full day affair or a two day thing.

Boyce, you willing to come up to New Jersey????

Maybe we can do it when Bob is in New Jersey although I seem to think he has zero reason to be here anymore although Madison where he grew up is about 25 minutes from me.

#389390 - 11-01-2018 04:01:11 Re: Have wine; will travel ... [Re: Marc Hanes]
BEB Online   content
True Southern Exposure
Crazed Wino

Jorzee? Did someone say Jorzee?
It's been awhile since I've been through, but I wouldn't rule out going again. Besides, a chance to see you and Sara is enticement enough!

Misc. Stuff
Muscadine winegrapes
Muscadine wine collection
2010 Garnet Pinot Noir - Rodgers Creek Vineyard
Promise Wine
Dom Perignon
Chappellet Wine
Lawer Family Three Coins Wine
13 Blackbirds
Old Wine
2009 HdR Last Seminar
Newest Members