Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#389553 - 12-19-2018 08:53:50 What Wineries Have Dropped Off Your Radar Screen??
TomHill Offline
Venerated Icon
Elvis Has Entered the Building!

Loc: LosAlamos
As I was tasting the Foxen last night, I realized I hadn't tasted many Foxen wines of late. I used to really like their wines and would try every one that came along.

Which got me to thinking (always a dangerous thing late at night when you're well into the btl)...what are some other wineries that I used to follow religiously but have now sorta dropped off my radar screen?? Oftentimes it's because there has been a decline in quality. Or they have sold out to the big boys like Constellation or Diageo and the wines are not the same...more commodity in character. Or sometimes you've moved on to more interesting things.

A few that come to mind in my case:
David Bruce
Scherrer
Storybook Mtn
Wellington
Eberle
Dehlinger
Nalle
BonnyDoon
SantaCruzMtnWnry
SpringMtnWnry
Buehler
MtVeeder
Caymus
JosephPhelps
RobertKeenan
ZD
and I'm sure there are a lot more.

Tom (throwing out yet another esoteric/thought-provoking question for the day)

#389555 - 12-19-2018 17:32:46 Re: What Wineries Have Dropped Off Your Radar Screen?? [Re: TomHill]
Bob Davis Offline
Obsessed

Loc: Steeler Nation
We have some intersection

David Bruce
Santa Criz Mtn.
Phelps

Although my last visit to David Bruce I liked the Pinots.
Others:

Marcassin
Rochioli
Cline
Pride
Ridge - due to severe negligence. Going back next year after we move.
Arrowood
Biale
Dave Coffaro
Siduri/Novy
McPrice Myers
Villa Creek
Jaffurs
Loring

The second list came about due to me realizing we can't buy it all.

#389564 - 12-23-2018 09:22:28 Re: What Wineries Have Dropped Off Your Radar Screen?? [Re: TomHill]
Marc Hanes Offline
Crazed Wino

Loc: Maplewood, NJ
Tom, it's funny you bring this up because recent weeks have had a similar thought knocking about my noggin. Having been into wine since the late 90's, I have seen many wineries both (a) come into existence and then go out of business as well as (b) lose their "sexy luster" yet somehow stay in business. The latter being the "fall off the radar screen."

My best "reminder" of these wineries these days is perusing the $25 and under wines for bid on Winebid. You see all kinds of names you have forgotten. I started to compile them together as follows:

A.P. Vin
Adelsheim
Au Bon Climat
Bacio Divino
Blankiet
Cain
Capiaux
Carol Shelton
Constant
Cornerstone
Crocker & Starr
Drew
Elyse
Ferrari-Carano
Flowers
Gary Farrell
Hanna
Hendry
Jade Mountain
Jaffurs
JC Cellars
Ken Wright
Kutch
Laetitia
Lamborn Family
Lang & Reed
Leal
Leonetti
Liparita
Lolonis
Longoria
Loring
Melville
Merryvale
Miner
Morgan
Newton
Owen Roe
Paradigm
Patz & Hall
Peachy Canyon
Qupe
Renard
Reverie
Robert Biale
Robert Sinskey
Rosenblum
Rutz
Saintsbury
Sea Smoke
Spencer Roloson
Swanson
Switchback Ridge
Talbott
Talley
Tandem
Tantara
Tensley
Testarossa
Truchard
Twomey
Vineyard 29
Woodward Canyon

Some of the above are stilling well, most likely via DTC sales. I guess what struck me about a few like Sea Smoke, Tensley, Flowers or Leonetti is how there was a true *buzz* about them and scores of tasting notes posted on wine boards and then a fade into the general din.

Makes me think that the last thing in the world I should ever do is make my own wine. Waaaay too risky with an uber-fickle buying audience, always chasing the new thing (like in the Bonne article) - Sandlands, Jolie-Laide, Bow & Arrow, Ceritas, Rhys, and so on. Without a doubt, many of these would find a home on the list above in 15 or so years.

Hell, I'm fickle myself and enjoy chasing a new shiny bauble in search of the "could THIS be even better???" experience. But as I've said many times, just so much time and even less money.

You ever want to trip down memory lane just peruse what's for auction on Winebid...

#389565 - 12-23-2018 09:41:56 Re: What Wineries Have Dropped Off Your Radar Screen?? [Re: Marc Hanes]
Marc Hanes Offline
Crazed Wino

Loc: Maplewood, NJ
But in the spirit of your question, wineries I personally used to follow closely but no longer do include...

Brogan
Chateau Montelena
Copain
Corison
Cornerstone
Failla
Green & Red
Howell Mountain
Kalin
Kongsgaard
Linne Calodo
Mara
Martinelli
McPrice Myers
Neyers
Outpost
Pax
Pride Mountain
Rabbit Ridge
Ramey
Ravenswood
Ridge
Seavey
Shafer
Tensley
Togni

A combination of my preferences changing; stylistic or winemaker changes at the winery; overall wine spend management; combination of all plus other.

If I had mad coin I'd probably pay the tariff for Seavey, Corison, Togni, Montelena and maybe Shafer for California Cabs. Once in awhile I will purchase a Tensley or Neyers wine these days.

Went to Ridge this summer and enjoyed the visit but it was not a re-conversion experience. Still think there's something missing, albeit many disagree. "New style" Pax can make some nice wines but overall they are as hit and miss as "old style" Pax and just as pricey.

Misc. Stuff
Muscadine winegrapes
Muscadine wine collection
2010 Garnet Pinot Noir - Rodgers Creek Vineyard
Promise Wine
Dom Perignon
Chappellet Wine
Lawer Family Three Coins Wine
13 Blackbirds
Old Wine
2009 HdR Last Seminar
Newest Members