Shared this w/ Susan's son over the Holidays:
1. Cantine Garrone Prunent Dd'OC: Valli Ossolane Nebbiolo Superiore (13.5%; www.WineMonger.com; cantinegarrone.it/en/; Slctd by Diego Meraviglia) Domodossola/Crevoladossola 2013: Med.light color; beautiful floral/Nebb/lilacs/violets/rose petals slight licorice/pungent/tarry intensely perfumey complex nose; rather tart/tangy beautiful floral/lilacs/violets light pungent/road tar slight earthy/dusty/OV quite complex flavor w/ light brisk/resolved tannins; very long/lingering rather tart/tangy very strong floral/Nebb/violets/lilacs/rose petal light tarry/pungent/licorice bit dusty/OV finish w/ light brisk/bitey tannins; the tannins are starting to resolve but this'll easily go another 10-15 yrs; a beautiful expression of Alpine Nebbiolo. $42.50 (WM)
sticks up into the Val d'Aosta. From the WebSite, the scenery looks spectacular. They refer to Prunent as a
clone of Nebbiolo. It is the earliest reference to Nebbiolo in Italy, first mentioned in 1309. I've not been
able to find any DNA identification work on Prunent. Most of the Prunent plantings in the Vd'O appear to be
very old. This WineMonger (www.WineMonger.com) import is a must try for lovers of Nebbiolo who have an open
mind and not supremely confident that B/B are the greatest expression of that grape.
Tom