Tried these three last night:
1. Sottimano Mate VinoRosso (12.5%) Sottimano/Neive 2018: Light ruby red color; lovely very fragrant/perfumed bright/zippy/strawberry/cherry/Bracheto/floral/cheap hair oil nose; light tart/tangy very strong floral/strawberry/cherry/Brachetto very perfumed flavor w/ light tangy tannic bite; long fairly tart/tangy very strong aromatic/strawberry/Brachetto/floral slight earthy finish w/ light tannic bite; dead ringer for Nehi strawberry soda pop w/o the fizz or sugar; an absolutely lovely Vin de Soif. $24.00 (SFW&S)
2. Jakobi Gross SauvBlanc Sudsteiermark/Osterreich (12.0%; trocken; www.SchatziWines.com; www.en.Gross.At) Ehrenhausen 2017: Med.yellow color; very strong SB/herbal/cat pee bit weedy/green olive bit stony/earthy rather fragrant classic SB nose; quite tart/tangy bit metallic/steely fairly strong SB/herbal/cat pee slight weedy slight spritz some stony/earthy flavor; very long quite tart/tangy/metallic/steely strong SB/herbal/cat pee/weedy/green olive bit earthy finish; a very tightly coiled expression of SB; pretty classic Steiermark tangy/steely/herbal SB. $21.00 (SFW&S)
3. GlinaVos Vlahiko PGI: Ioannina/Greece (Vlahiko & Bekari grapes; www.GlinaVos.Gr; 12%; T.ElentenyImports) Lefteris Glinavos/Zitsa/Ioannina 2016: Med.dark color; very strong grapey/plummy/blackberry/Syrah-like bit dusty/earthy/OV light toasty/oak slight bretty quite spicy/rather Rhoneish/black pepper quite attractive nose; quite tart/tangy strong blackberry/plummy/SouthRhone/spicy slight black pepper/whole-cluster bit earthy/dusty/OV slightly rustic some complex flavor w/ modest hard/firm tannins; very long/lingering strong blackberry/spicy/Syrah-like bit peppery/w-c/Rhonish/plummy bit rustic slight bretty quite interesting finish w/ modest chewey tannins; much like a somewhat rustic Languedoc Syrah; quite an interesting wine. $30.00 (AV)
1. Mate: This is a still/dry wine made from 100% Brachetto. Usually it is finished off-dry to slightly sweet and often w/ a bit of spritz. This is one of my favorite grapes. It has beautiful aromatics of strawberries. In view of the interest in making Vin de Soif in Calif, Brachetto is a grape they should be planting all up&down the Coast of Calif.
2. Gross: This is an interesting wnry in Steiermark region of Southern Austria, hard by the Slovenian border. Most of their grapes come from vnyds in Štajerska/Slovenija. They make a pretty full range of varieties.
The Sudsteiermark is a beautiful region of Styria/Austria. I wish more of their wines were imported into the USofA.
3. Glinavos: A totally new wine from Greece for me. From the Epirus region of NW Greece. I was attracted to this wine because of the massively heavy btl. This is a wnry that specializes in the native indigenous varieties. For an unknown wnry, I was pretty impressed w/ this wine. Clearly, Vlahiko & Bekari are grapes they should be planting all up&down the Coast of Calif.
Tom