Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30 31
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#390484 - 11-04-2019 09:50:49 Barolo bust weekend :~)... Vietti, Aldo Conterno, Borgogno... others
Dave Cuneo Offline
Local

Loc: Delaware
Ciao amici,

Went home last month to visit my family in Joisey and cracked a few Baroli from my stash in my sister's cellar.

1. 1974 Borgogno, Barolo "Historico". This was a gift to me recently from a private cellar. Totally oxidized and undrinkable.

2. 1996 Aldo Conterno, Barolo, Vigna Colonello. From my stash, don't remember how this came to me or what was paid at the time. On paper it should have been superb. Reality: totally oxidized and undrinkable.

3. 1990 Vietti, Barolo "Rocche". From my stash, 29 years old and showing every year, it was also quite oxidized, but did, amazingly show some improvement with an hour of air and at least was drinkable, but not good. Grade: just barely drinkable. Pushed too far?

4. 1996 Giacomo Fenocchio, Barolo "Cannubi". From my stash, Chris James brought me a six pack way back in the day, this is the last of the six. Still a good healthy color, pretty nose of black cherries and raspberries, some tobacco and smoke. Not as good as earlier bottle but still quite satisfying. Drink 'em if you got 'em. Grade: solid B/B+.

5. 1993 Oddero, Barolo normale. From my bil's stash, this was quite good! I love Oddero, and this simple "normale" was the best of the five Baroli. Still aromatic, lean and lithe, complex, smoky, tobacco and licorice to go with the black cherry/blackberry like fruit. Grade: B+.

6. 1990 Mastroberardino, Taurasi 'Radici". From my stash, I definitely waited too long on this, it was tired and showing some browning in the color and oxidation on the nose, but still tasty enough not to pour it down the sink. We drank the whole thing. Grade: B.

Dave.

#390504 - 11-13-2019 13:58:05 Re: Barolo bust weekend :~)... Vietti, Aldo Conterno, Borgogno... others [Re: Dave Cuneo]
fraser Offline
Regular

Loc: Seattle
Wow, Dave. Four out of six aren't drinkable? And I thought my luck was bad recently! That might be enough to make me quit the the hobby altogether.

Someone gifted you a 74 Borgogno? Wow! Give them my number!!! My neighbor just gifted me an Aldo Conterno Cicala 2007 for picking up their paper while they were away!!!! I was stunned. Those wines have always been out of my price range. But I guess they got it in the big Aldo Conterno sale from a number of years ago.

A 1996 Aldo Conterno Colonello was oxidized? I haven't had any younger oxidized Barolo - only from the old ones. Something was wrong there. Especially for such a top of the line wine.

There seems to be an awful lot of reports of flawed/underwhelming Vietti wine 1980-1990. For me, 3 out of 4 have been underwhelming but the 4th was one of the best ever Barolos I've had (Thanks, CJ!). Bummer that such a prestigious wine was off.

Based on yours and CJ's recomendation, I picked up the G. Fenocchio Bussia and Cannubi from 1999 but haven't tried. Evidently, he was the one who sold Villero grapes to Giacosa. So I picked up some 2010 Villero from him as well.

The Oddero "normale" still had some of their top single vineyards blended into it until the early 2000's. Villero and Brunate? So no surprise it was so satisfying.

Seems like a 1990 Taurasi shouldn't be over the hill already either.

Better luck next time. I had three or four old wines in a row from one source that were all oxidized. Luckily the next one showed very well. I was beginning to think they would all be bad.

Thanks
Fraser

Edited by fraser (11-13-2019 13:58:24)

Misc. Stuff
Muscadine winegrapes
Muscadine wine collection
2010 Garnet Pinot Noir - Rodgers Creek Vineyard
Promise Wine
Dom Perignon
Chappellet Wine
Lawer Family Three Coins Wine
13 Blackbirds