17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#392168 - 09-24-2021 08:40:35 TN: 2019 Failla Chenin Blanc
James Cross Offline
Regular

Loc: Vega$
This is a new wine for Failla. Fruit is from Olivet Ranch in Russ R. They also do a chard from this vineyard. Alcohol is 13.2.

Beautiful gold color with great clarity and viscosity. Nose is apples and pears, almost apple cider at this time of year. Very slight bitter finish. Big wine, Ehren recommends decanting, which I did not do. On Day 2 a little less of the apple cider essence.

Short rant: this is yet another expansion of the Failla portfolio. When I started with them (near the start when they were Failla-Jordan) it was supposed to be a Rhone varietal winery. It has morphed into a pinot noir/chard winery; probably a lot easer sell.

However, they now have a wide lineup of pinots and chards and also have the Oregon operation with similar offerings, plus a few other whites. They still make a couple of syrahs, but the viognier (Alban fruit) is a goner. Prices on the pinots are way up; the chards are high but still somewhat reasonable.

Now he's into Santa Cruz pinots. The whole thing is confusing.

#392173 - 09-26-2021 11:08:40 Yup... [Re: James Cross]
TomHill Online   content
Venerated Icon
Elvis Has Entered the Building!

Loc: LosAlamos
Originally Posted By: James Cross
This is a new wine for Failla. Fruit is from Olivet Ranch in Russ R. They also do a chard from this vineyard. Alcohol is 13.2.

Beautiful gold color with great clarity and viscosity. Nose is apples and pears, almost apple cider at this time of year. Very slight bitter finish. Big wine, Ehren recommends decanting, which I did not do. On Day 2 a little less of the apple cider essence.

Short rant: this is yet another expansion of the Failla portfolio. When I started with them (near the start when they were Failla-Jordan) it was supposed to be a Rhone varietal winery. It has morphed into a pinot noir/chard winery; probably a lot easer sell.

However, they now have a wide lineup of pinots and chards and also have the Oregon operation with similar offerings, plus a few other whites. They still make a couple of syrahs, but the viognier (Alban fruit) is a goner. Prices on the pinots are way up; the chards are high but still somewhat reasonable.

Now he's into Santa Cruz pinots. The whole thing is confusing.

Yup, Jim.....much the same sentiments as mine. I still like Ehren's Syrahs, but he's heavily moved into Pinots/Chards. They are good, but just not where my interest lies and the prices are on the high side.
I don't buy much these days except for the occasional Syrah...which are some of the best in Calif.
Tom

Misc. Stuff
Muscadine winegrapes
Muscadine wine collection
2010 Garnet Pinot Noir - Rodgers Creek Vineyard
Promise Wine
Dom Perignon
Chappellet Wine
Lawer Family Three Coins Wine
13 Blackbirds
Old Wine
2009 HdR Last Seminar