Tenuta Carretta Barolo Poderi Cannubi 1989

13.5% Selected by Leonardo Locascio / Imported by Winebow

Yellow "Beer & Wine $29.99" sticker.

"Strong autumn leaves and roses nose. Excellent wine. Complex/great feel. Cool, menthol. Like Brezza Cannubi 1989".

Kinda cool...when I first smelled this wine I was immediately transported to Brezza's 1989 Cannubi which I last had 20 years ago! It was the same heavy and immediate autumn leaves smell as then.

It was apparent on the first sip, for both my wife and I, that this was a very good wine. It had a very interesting feel to it, very interesting flavors but a little bit removed, a step into the distance. Not so sweet and ripe as some of the other top vineyards I've had lately. More savory and textured in a lower keyed way. Decanted 3+ hours. The wine seemed to fall off after an hour although a sip the next day was still fresh and striking in its display of quality. Highly recommended.

I think this may have seen some poor conditions along the way as it seemed a little advanced, lacking some freshness and was a touch in the background, especially given the yellow tag.

Served with venison tenderloin with porcini powder and home made pasta in black trumpet sauce. Truly wonderful combination of food and wine.

Thanks
Fraser

Attachments
Tenuta Carretta Barolo Cannubi 1989.JPG

Edited by fraser (03-03-2022 16:52:04)