Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#392745 - 06-29-2022 12:19:05 TN: A TrousseauGris & A LeonMillot...(short/boring)
TomHill Online   content
Venerated Icon
Elvis Has Entered the Building!

Loc: LosAlamos
These were my wines at DinDin last night:
1. WindGap TrousseauGris Fanucchi-WoodRdVnyd/RRV/SonomaCnty (11.8%; Plntd: 1981; Frmtd: concrete tanks;
www.WindGapWines.com) Sebastapol 2017
: Med.gold/burnished bronze color; some appley/earthy lightly floral/carnations vaguely fruity slight fragrant rather undistinguished nose; quite tart/tangy/lean bit eviscerated bit appley/earthy slight floral/carnations quite undistinguished vaguely fruity flavor; med.short rather tart/tangy light appley/earthy/floral/carnations msomewhat bland/eviscerated finish; a thoroughly undistinguished white w/ no obvious skin-contact; reminds a bit of the old Gus Sebastiani GrayRiesling. $26.00
2. Novy LeonMillot WillametteVlly/OR (13.6%; not many cases) 2007: Rather murky/somewhat browning color; quite earthy/loamy rather rustic/hybridy/grapey some Siduri oak/pencilly rather interesting nose; rather tart/tangy/metallic earthy/loamy rustic/coarse some Siduri oak bit astringent/tannic flavor w/ light metallic tannins; very long quite tart/tangy/metallic fairly eaarthy/loamy/rustic rather grapey/hybridy some Siduri oak finish w/ light tannins; lots of grapey/rustic/loamy/hybridy character but much better than I expected; not at all dead or tired. $19.50

1. TrousseauGris was long ago planted in Caalif & went under the name of GrayRiesling. It pretty much died out because it made such boring/uninteresting wines, but now is seeing a slightly renewed interest because the DNA indicated GrayRiesling was actually TrousseauGris. This WindGap is exactly why the variety disappeared in the first place.
2. Novy: Whatta surprise this wine was. I was expecting it to be totally dead/shot. It was not. Not a wine filled w/ much hedonistic pleasure, but, given its low-class background, much better than it had any right to be. As I recall the story, this 2007 vintage, he was taking Pinot from the AmberRidge Vnyd & they happened to have some extra LeonMillot that was unspoken for, so he brought a ton down with his Pinot.
Apparently Leon-Millot has somewhat of a sweet spot in OR & a number of vnyds have it planted. Apparently because it is a somewhat popular (if illegal) grape in Alsace. Go figure.
Tom

#392747 - 06-30-2022 07:55:35 Re: TN: A TrousseauGris & A LeonMillot...(short/boring) [Re: TomHill]
James Cross Offline
Regular

Loc: Vega$
Tom: There is a winery in Minnesota that does Leon Millot. It used to be the best winery in Mn (for what that is worth) and was their flagship wine among many hybrids. It is the Alexis Bailly Winery. The daughter now runs the place in Hastings, Mn.

#392749 - 06-30-2022 11:54:52 Yup... [Re: James Cross]
TomHill Online   content
Venerated Icon
Elvis Has Entered the Building!

Loc: LosAlamos
Originally Posted By: James Cross
Tom: There is a winery in Minnesota that does Leon Millot. It used to be the best winery in Mn (for what that is worth) and was their flagship wine among many hybrids. It is the Alexis Bailly Winery. The daughter now runs the place in Hastings, Mn.

Yup, Jim....I've had the Alexis Bailly LM yrs ago. Pretty classic rustic LM I recall.
Tom

Misc. Stuff
Muscadine winegrapes
Muscadine wine collection
2010 Garnet Pinot Noir - Rodgers Creek Vineyard
Promise Wine
Dom Perignon
Chappellet Wine
Lawer Family Three Coins Wine
13 Blackbirds
Old Wine
2009 HdR Last Seminar