Notes on a blind tasting July 14, 2022.

Averill Creek Charme de L’Ile – this was an NV bubbly made on Vancouver Island from pinot noir, pinot gris and chardonnay. Bright clear yellow, balanced with crisp acidity, decent mousse, a pleasant palate calibrator.

2005 Huet Vouvray Demi-Sec Le Mont – a lightish amber colour, with an excellent nose of floral honey and elements of both apple (crisp) and peach (sweet) in the mouth. Very slight hint of oxidation but it added some complexity rather than detracting from the experience. I do love these wines! And for me demi-sec is (if you’ll excuse the expression) the ‘sweet spot’ for Vouvray, adding interest without too much RS (which is why my preferences are for German Spatlese over Auslese unless I am in the mood for a sweetie).

1986 Villa Mount Eden Cabernet Sauvignon – my wine and I immediately found that I has wasted time worrying about whether it would show well at this age – it did! Surprisingly dark core but with pale edges, hints of anise and leather with some currant developing with time, good fruit in the mouth and soft tannins A good showing, and surprisingly Bordeaux-like.

2015 Shaw and Smith Pinot Noir (Adelaide Hills) – Australian cool climate pinot. Medium colour, red fruit, a tad musty, bit acidic and slightly oxidized. Presumably and off bottle.

2014 Evesham Wood Cuvee J Pinot Noir – medium dark colour and a notably sweet red fruit nose, this Oregon pinot made up for the shortcomings of the previous bottle. It was scented lightly with spice (nutmeg?) and overall rather Burgundian, with a long clean finish. Very good.

2006 Castell'in Villa Chianti Classico Riserva – quite dark with a slightly roasted impression, nice nose with a bit of fig, tobacco and mushroom and some dark cherry notes on palate. Finishes long but still fairly tannic – very good but needs more time.

2001 Santa Duc Gigondas Prestige des Hautes Garrigues – fairly dark colour with a sweet savoury meaty nose and excellent fruit levels on palate. This wine is still singing and I love the tune! Wish I had more than a fw bottles in the cellar. I still have the 1995 as well – a side by side tasting may be called for!