Tried these two last night:
1. Forlorn-Hope King-Andrews King-AndrewsVnyd/SuisunVlly WW (12.48%; 47 cs; Chenin Blanc/Vermentino/TrousseauGris) 2016: Med.light gold color; some herbal/Semillon-like/bit SB-like some floral/marigolds/pungent light toasty/oak bit earthy interesting nose; lightly tart rather herbal/figgy/Semillon-like some floral/marigolds/zinnias/pungent light toasty/oak bit earthy interesting flavor; med.long lightly tart some pungent/floral/zinnias/marigolds light herbal/figgy/Semillon-like finish; a somewhat interesting if unremarkable white that shows little evolution; a bit of an Oakland wine.
2. SeaRidge Zin OccidentalVnyd/SonomaCoast (13.5%) DanWickham/SeaRidgeVnyd/Occidental 1990: Med. rather murky brown color; fairly cedary/pencilly/oldZin bit tarry bit bretty/funky/mousey/wet Army blanket slight volatile some earthy/dusty/OV slight ripe/blackberry/boysenberry complex rather tired nose; quite tart/tangy fairly cedary/pencilly/old Zin some dusty/OV slight cedary/oak slight blackberry/Zin flavor w/ modest drying/tired tannins; long rather tired/dried out rather cedary/pencilly/oldZin light toasty/oak slightly ripe/blackberry/Zin finish w/ light dried-out tannins; pretty much a dead&gone oldZin w/ little left to like.
1. King-Andrews: This vnyd has a Heritage White Block that includes mostly old Haritage Winte varieties, including TrousseauGris/GreyRiesling and GreenHungarian. To me, the wine showed a lot of Semillon-like/figgy character than anything.
2. SeaRidge: This wine was a legend in its time. SeaRidge was a wnry was an operation that started in the early '80's by Dan Wickham and another fellow marine bioligist. They grew some exceptional PinotNoir on the SeaView Vnyd over near the Coast. In 1988, they had a falling out and Dan bought out his partner and moved the operation to the old Eric Ross Vnyd just East of Occidental. This was a very old-vine vnyd a stone's throw from the famous vonWeidlich Vnyd from which Ridge made some legendary Zins in the early '70's. Much too cold to be growing Zin. But Dan continued to make legendary OV Zins from the property for some 15 yrs under the Eric Ross label. It was eventually sold to FredFranzia/Bronco and now still makes commodity-level wines over in GlenEllen.
But I bought a bunch of this SeaRidge Zin in the early '90's, some of which were labeled w/ the names of the pruchasers. But, at the time, the wine reminded me a lot of the old Ridge Occidental Zin '70, a legendary wine. The wine was huge & extracted, like the Ridge, and a Zin I was certain would live forever like the Ridge. Clearly, I was wrong. First time since tis morning that that has happened!! Still have a few btls buried away.
Tom

Edited by TomHill (01-10-2023 12:49:18)