Hi,

"I Paglieri" Alfredo E Giovanni Roagna Barbaresco Riserva 1990

Sourced a few years back from "a supermarket with a cellar". Imported by Summa Vitis. 14%. $59 or $69, I forget.

Nose of rose, raspberry and licorice. Medium intensity. Classic.

My wife's first comment was, "This is different". Somehow it was different but I couldn't put my finger on it. Sour cherries followed by sweetness that grew as time went on. Very sweet by the end. Sort of a sweet and sour wine! A bit of rough tanins in the middle. Raisins. Menthol. A precise wine. Acidity on the low side of medium. A very good wine that had moments of being merely good and moments of being excellent. A classic wine that was very satifying. Drinking very nicely now. It may improve further as the last dregs were very harmonious/unified. Perhaps it might smooth out a bit with time. My first Roagna so who knows. I wouldn't hesitate to open another now or save them for a decade.

Also tried the Tommasi Valpolicella Classico Superiore Vigneto Rafael 2000 - $14.99. We enjoyed this wine. Certainly you could taste hints of Amarone here. I know the name Tommasi but not the reputation. How does this wine fit in, in the DOC there?

Thanks
Fraser

Edited by fraser (09-24-2005 16:29:41)